Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 4

Well, we're making progress.

Cnut, whom I hate, is dead. Aethelred, whom I hate, is *almost* dead. Not too shabby, huh? Now, I just need someone to knock off Edward's father-in-law, and we'll all be peachy-keen.

But, seriously, this was a really good episode. It almost felt like it could have been the season finale because soooooo much happened. Like, we had a major battle, the death of a major character, vengeance for Ragnar, and sundry political negotiations all in one episode. Those show writers do not slack off!

I have to say that I really enjoyed this episode. It kept me on my toes the whole time, although I always assume that Uhtred will win every battle that he's involved in.

Speaking of the battle, I'm glad that Brida had the chance to kill Cnut. Hopefully that gives her a little closure, but I have a feeling that she's going to be suffering for a while. Maybe Uhtred should have killed her. It might have been kinder, but, on the other hand, she's too good of a character to give up. Anyway, I hope things work out for her.

I should also note that I enjoyed Uhtred's little trick with Cnut's sons. It's cleverness like that that's kept Uhtred alive all these years.

I also have to declare a moment of silence for Steapa; at least he died a warrior's death. Man, we're losing all the best supporting characters this season!

On the other hand, I do NOT hope that things work out for Aethelred. Like, he sort of redeemed himself in this episode by coming to the rescue...but he's also been a jerk for four seasons, so I kind of hope that he dies. It would also save Eadith's bacon, that's for sure. His death would also very convienently make Aethelflaed the sole ruler of Mercia, which would be good times for Uhtred and his merry men.

I think the other main plot thread in this episode was Edward and his general obnoxiousness. Seriously, I've just about had it with him. His pompous self-righteousness is getting on my nerves. Like, he has no right to complain about the death's Aethelflaed caused when he was planning to allow the Danes to stampede Mercia. Plus, his wife's family is cooking up a whole pit full of snakes. I have a feeling that Edward's father-in-law is planning to knock off his children and banish Aelswith to boot.

Anyway, following this episode we're just left with a lot of plot threads and questions. Will Edward and Aethelflaed make up? What's going to happen to Brida? What is Edward's father-in-law planning for his illegitimate son? Will Aethelred live? Will Edward ever get a haircut.

Seriously, I'm sticking with that joke until the end of this season at least.

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review