Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 2

Wow, was that ever melodramatic.

I mean, I guess that's The Last Kingdom's specialty, right?

I didn't expect Uhtred to be able to reclaim Bebbanburg easily, but even I am mildly shocked by the sheer level of disaster that he got himself into. I mean, if this was real life, all of Uhtred's men would be dead in about five seconds! This is a TV show, so I expect that most of them will pull off miraculous escapes, but it's still an utter DISASTER.

I mean, I do feel bad for Uhtred in this situation because there was no way he could have known that his cousin was alive (and seems to be taking fashion advice from the cast of Pirates of the Caribbean, by the way). If it wasn't for Wihtgar, I think Uhtred would the lord of Bebbanburg right now, but, unfortunately, his cousin out maneuvered him.

I'm also disappointed that Uhtred didn't get to kill his uncle. I think he deserved that after all his years of suffering. Although, I have to say that the uncle was not a very good villain. He seems too cartoonishly evil; I think he's more effective in the books.

On the bright side, it looks like Uhtred is finally forging a relationship with his son, who shares his father's genius for creative invention. Anyway, it looks like they're finally finding some common ground. And, who knows, young Uhtred might actually become invested in reclaiming his homeland. All I can say is that when he introduced himself as "Uhtred of Bebbanburg," I got chills.

Back in the south it appears as though Edward is going to continue to persist with that ludicrous haircut. Does no one have the courage to tell him that he looks like a poodle with a perm? Seriously though, this new "king" is really starting to annoy me. I'm just dying to shake him by the shoulders and yell "show some leadership!" Also, as much as I dislike Aelswith, I have to say that I'm beginning to disapprove of the way Edward is treating his mother. He needs to show some respect to his blood family.

The other big event in Edward's family was Aelswith visiting her grandson Aethelstan, who was introduced with the title screen “First king of all England and the English.” Talk about big shoes to grow into. I am glad that Aelswith showed mercy to this little boy and his mother, it really humanizes her. Plus, the show is setting up a pre-tty big hero with Aethelstan. I'm expecting big things from him.

Back with the Danes, I'm still hating everyone except my girl Brida, whoby the waycan do much better than CNUT. I hate that guy! The fact that Brida is having HIS baby and not Ragnar's just ENRAGES me. However, I am rooting for him against Aethelred, whom I hate more than anyone else in this show (and, believe me, I have grudges against a lot of characters on this show).

Like, the fact that Aethelred still breathes air in this show is offensive to me. Someone just needs to kill him already! Preferably my girl Aethelflaed. But seriously, I feel like Aethelred searches for ways to annoy me. Creeping of Eadith is bad enough, but threatening to kill Aethelflaed to marry her is taking it to another level! That's not even taking into account his stupid hairstyle and annoying habit of wearing a crown everywhere. Like, could he be any more of a monster?

Both Edward and Aethelred need to see whichever barber is putting together the Danes' hairstyles. Let me tell you, those guys are serving LEWKS. Sihtric in particular has a sick cut in this season. I feel like he would fit right in with all those hipsters in Brooklyn.

On a random note, I want credit for cramming every possible name containing an A and an E into one review. I have no problem keeping the names straight when I watching the show, but when I'm typing them out it gets confusing. I feel like whoever wrote the Anglo-Saxon baby name book just took the letters A and E and shoved random letters after them in nonsense configurations.

Anyway, to wrap up, this wasn't my favorite episode (it seemed like a little too much set up to me), but I do think it's getting us ready for big things later in the season.

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review