Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 5 Review

STOP EVERYTHING! Grace is back!

Oh my goodness, I am over the MOON that Grace and Tommy are an item once again. And, before you tell me that this episode could have been a one night stand, let me tell you that I have seen enough TV shows to know that they did not reintroduce her character just for that.

GRACE!

I'm so excited.

No doubt, their relationship is going to be extremely messy and complicated (because of May and her husband, etc. etc.), but I don't care.

First of all, I have to comment on the fact that Tommy has some CONFIDENCE, or, maybe he just knows Grace really well. Like, his whole opening gambit with Grace to skip talking about the past was a bold move, considering she could have walked out at any moment. But, of course, he really just wants to take her out to meet movie stars. It's an interesting reunion, but also kind of sweet? I don't know.

I did, however, LOVE that Tommy called Campbell to tell him that he was about to sleep with Grace. Was it extremely childish? Yes. Was it satisfying? YASSSS.

Campbell yelling "LIAR" into the telephone was leg-en-dary. Oh my goodness, I died laughing.

The only thing weird about this whole little plot arc was that, when Tommy asks Grace why she came, she starts telling him about her problems with infertility. Are we meant to assume that Grace would only sleep with him because she knew she couldn't get pregnant with his baby? Or, is she sleeping with him in the hopes that she will get pregnant? Or, is she just feeling bad about the whole situation and is looking for comfort? Any way you slice it, it's a weird little detail to mention, and I kind of really wish they had just left it out.

Anyway. I'll let it go because I'm just so THRILLED that they're back together.

Okay, moving on to the next love interest.

Let us chat about May. As I've said before, I really like May, so it kind of sucks that Tommy is going to break her heart. I mean, she makes a nice little speech about winning him even though his horse will lose, but, like, we all know that Tommy is going to go for Grace. He's head over heels with her! I do think that Tommy has some affection for May, but not in the way that he cares about Grace. And, perhaps most importantly, May and Tommy are from completely different worlds, so I don't think it would ever really work. May did get to deliver one of the best lines of the episode though, “You’ve told me about her like a gentleman, now kindly behave like a gangster again.”  Such 👏 a  👏line!!! You see? This is why I love May.

All right, we've gotten all of the fun conversations out of the way. Let's talk about the darker stuff.

First of all, if you didn't hate Campbell before this episode, you certainly do now. What he did to Polly was just horrifying, and telling Michael about it was an extra layer of nasty. Someone needs to kill him and do it soon, but I sincerely hope that Polly gets a chance at revenge first.

Speaking of Michael, how devastating was his treatment of his mother????? Like, didn't you just want to smack him when he told Polly that what happened to her was funny?? I'm guessing that the show wants you to believe that this is some sort of defense mechanism for dealing with his pain and anger, but it comes off looking pretty heartless. Michael needs to learn to respect his mother, SMH.

We also need to talk about Arthur. As much as we're supposed to be horrified that Alfie betrays the PBs and frames Arthur, naming the goat Tommy Shelby and killing it was actually a pre-tty legendary move. Like, don't get me wrong, Alfie is insane, but in a delightful way. Obviously, Arthur was fine and didn't get sentenced to death, but it is sad to see him thinking that he's done nothing with his life. As always, I feel bad for/concerned about Arthur. On the positive side, he probably can't get cocaine in jail.

On the whole, I feel like this episode was just setting everything up for the season finale, so I shall be on the edge of my seat, waiting to see what happens next time.

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review