Review: Supernatural Season 2, Episode 12: Nightshifter

So, I guess Sam and Dean are on the FBI’s most wanted list now. That should make their job easier, on top of the demons and monsters and shapeshifters (oh my!). But seriously, I was impressed that they were able to escape the bank with the Feds and a monster after them. I mean, the DRAMA of it all was next level. I mean, it was almost too much DRAMA for me! (Just kidding, you know I love the drama).

When Sam and Dean came out of the bank at the end of the episode wearing the SWAT uniforms, I wanted to stand up and applaud. That was such a great twist!

And, I love it when Dean stares straight ahead and is just like “we are so screwed.” I mean, ten points to Dean for that one-liner; the delivery was just PERFECT. Plus, the music choice was A+; when they started playing “Renegade” in the background, I knew it was going to be a good ending.

However, I think “so screwed” is a bit of an understatement. Like, I believe in Sam and Dean’s collective hunter abilities, but I doubt they’ll be able to outrun the law for another thirteen seasons. Besides which, I’m shocked they’ve never been caught by any sort of law enforcement before. They’ve done so many illegal things so far in this show, and it’s only season 2. I mean, I know they wipe their fingerprints, but you would think that their DNA would show up all over those crime scenes, not to mention security camera footage.

Also, their faces are super recognizable, they have the most distinctive car ever, and they’ve had the same license plates since season 1. How have the FBI not cornered them before??? Plus, I want to note that Sam—with an injured hand and no weapons—took out two SWAT agents by himself in this episode. It really makes you question the training fictional law enforcement professionals receive.

On the other hand, I would love it if the show did a whole episode about the “let’s-catch-Sam-and-Dean” investigation (or, the Dean and Sam investigation, since they think Dean is the primary criminal here). It’s really interesting to imagine how “outsiders” in the Supernatural world interpret what the Winchesters are doing. Like, what does Agent Henriksen think they’re trying to do? What does he think their motive is?

I mean, we got the idea that he thinks Dean is a psycho based on his conversation with him. (By the way, Henriksen also had a great one liner: “Crazy's in there. And I just hung up on it.”(10 points to him too)).

But, I digress.

I’m just going to come out and say it: I think this was the best episode of Supernatural that I’ve seen thus far. I mean, man, was this episode ever good! It was basically perfect in my opinion.

The whole time I was watching, I was thinking to myself “how are they going to get out of this? How are they going to get away?” And, of course, they pulled off an outlandishly awesome escape.

In case you need a recap, in this episode, our gallant heroes go up against a shapeshifter AGAIN. This particular shapeshifter has been robbing banks and jewelry stores, which seems to be a more logical thing to do with your shape shifting abilities than beating up random women (which is what the last shapeshifter was doing).

Of course, they end up trapped in a bank with the shapeshifter. Sam and Dean then have to figure out who is the monster and who is just an innocent person. Along the way, Sam and Dean team up with this guy named Ron (RIP Ron, he didn’t last long), who kind of figured out that shapeshifters exist, except he thinks they’re human android hybrids (mandroids, of course). To make things even better, the feds are still after Dean for trying to kill a woman in Saint Louis (+ all the other crazy stuff they think he did), and they think he’s holding the bank employees hostage. So, of course, they send in a SWAT team to capture Dean. It’s all just FANTASTIC drama.

Plus, how is the word mandroid not hilarious?

Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review