Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 3 Review

Yup, yup, this was a good 'un.

I enjoyed this episode a LOT. It may not have been the most dramatic or action packed episode of the show (although, they're all dramatic, aren't they?), but I felt like watching this episode was like eating a piece of chocolate cake. Every bite was delicious and throughly satisfying, and I savored every moment of it.

Anyway, let me step away from the weird metaphors.

This episode was jam packed with interesting events.

First of all, I am so incredibly interested in what's going to happen with Polly and her son. I feel like it would be too easy for them to become a happy, happy family, but maybe that's what will happen? At the very least, I'm glad she's had a chance to see her son and know that he's okay.

Speaking of which, I'm not sure how I feel about Michael yet. In some ways, he seems like an innocent kid, but there's also a Tommy-esque coldness about him, which we see when he confronts violence on the horse-buying expedition. I also think there's a part of Michael that wants to "slum it" with the Blinders; he's obviously attracted to the power and violence that the PBs represent. I think it's interesting that Tommy tells him, "you're young, so you think what we do is all right. It's not all right." Michael clearly doesn't get what he's saying to him in that moment; maybe he will in the future. It's also a moment that reveals Tommy's state of mind; he recognizes that the Blinders are bad news, but he also realizes that the family doesn't have many other options.

In other news, who didn't love Alfie's "baker" orientation in this episode? That man is totally and completely insane, but also ridiculously entertaining. I love it.

I also have to mention Arthur's big scene in this episode, in which he is confronted by the mother of the boy he killed in the boxing ring (for the record, I don't think he needs any more practice boxing. I think he's got it down). This was a really upsetting scene, in an emotional, moving way. When Arthur told the mom, "point the gun at my head, that's where the trouble is," I just died. Like, give Paul Anderson an Emmy; I felt some type of way about that moment.

However, my favorite scenes in the episode were the horse auction. First of all, it is so unbelievably COOL that Tommy can now go and blow thousands on a horse. The Shelbys have really come up in the world. Not to mention that Tommy got to meet a cute girl. I'm really curious to see where this May character goes. Is he going to fall for May or are they setting up a love triangle with Grace? I refuse to believe that she and Tommy are not going to have some sort of fling; the sexual tension between them was palpable! Plus, she gave him her card, which is a surefire sign that she's going to be back on this show again. I also love that the PBs are teasing Tommy while he chats up May. They might just be a happy family after all!

Plus, how cute was it when Michael offers around sandwiches and then Tommy makes the Blinders eat them? I mean, maybe Michael is an innocent kid after all. Also, on a random note, we never see Tommy eat on this show. I guess he's surviving on a diet of cigarettes and whiskey alone.

That coat though.

On a side note, I want to take a minute to talk about how LEG-ENDARY the costumes are in this show. First of all, don't think I didn't notice the Shelbys stepping up their fashion game in this season. You can kind of tell that they're wealthier now based on the fact that they all seem to have gold watches now and the quality of their clothes. Like, Tommy's coat with the red lining? That is a LEWK! Also, I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the haircuts on this show are EVERYTHING. Like, if I was a guy, I would be getting the Tommy Shelby haircut tomorrow. It just looks so cool!

Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review