Review: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 11: Family Remains

Well THAT was fuel for nightmares.

Like, jeez! They put every horrifying thing that they possibly could in one episode. That was probably the most disturbing thing I’ve seen since that family of cannibals back in season one!

*Shudder.*

Seriously though, the episodes with human monsters are the worst because we all know that stuff like that actually happens in the world. (Although, I like to think that in reality a house could not be sold to a new family with people living in the walls. (!!!!!) Surely someone would have noticed that before all the papers were signed!) It’s genuinely really frightening to think that things like this happen to people, but they do! Which is what makes the episode so scary.

Anyway, if you need a recap, this episode is about a family that buys a new house after the previous owner was brutally murdered in a locked room. Sam and Dean suspect ghosts, but when they arrive to investigate, they realize that there are actually two children living in the walls of the house. The children are the children of the daughter of the man who lived in the house before; he had kept them locked up in the house for their entire lives because he had impregnated his daughter (again, disturbing, and also major ick!). Anyway, the kids were essentially feral because they had never been cared for, leading them to try to kill anyone who came to their house. Sam and Dean eventually have to work with the family to kill the two children before they can escape from the house.

As I said before, this was incredibly disturbing on so many levels, and I’d never rewatch it, but I can’t fault the show on its execution. They did a great job of building suspense and making it really scary (the music was a great creepy touch). The scene with the little boy playing catch with the closet was especially chilling. The whole time I was watching, I kept thinking to myself, "man, is that family ever going to need therapy. SO. MUCH. THERAPY."

TBH, 90% of the problems encountered on this show could be solved if everyone just went to therapy. *SMH*

The only thing that didn’t make sense was that the kids a) knew how to write (I don’t know how they learned that) and b) knew enough to take the guns from Dean’s car. Again, not sure how they learned that when they spent their whole lives in the basement eating rats, but it’s a TV show so I have to let things go.

Aside from all the psycho stuff at the farm house, we also learn more about Dean’s experiences in hell. He admits that he enjoyed torturing the other souls because he was so angry about all the pain that had been inflicted on him. I can see why this disturbs Dean, but I have to say that I don’t think any reasonable person would blame him for what he did. I have to hand it to Jensen Ackles though, he plays deep psychological distress perfectly. Give that man an Emmy.

My only real complaint is that they killed the dog. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, pets should be off limits.

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9