Review: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 5: Monster Movie

Well, I didn’t think it was possible, but Dean is even hotter in black and white.

Who would have thunk it?

Seriously though, I LOVED this episode.

I mean, I just died laughing the whole time, especially when the vampire got on the motor scooter. But the ordering of the pizza was really the kicker for me. That was comedy GOLD. And Dean talking about how he was a virgin again? (By the way, I’m pre-tty sure it doesn’t work like that). But, oh my goodness, it was just all so hilarious.

Like, they really committed to this episode with the old time-y title cards and intermission and everything. I also loved the flimsy monster movie props and the whole Frankenstein lab setup. Plus, Dean in lederhosen was priceless. What was up with that outfit? I thought he didn’t do shorts.

I really like when Supernatural does these sort of “out of the box” episodes, like “Ghostfacers” or the one on the movie set. It’s all very meta.

I was a little surprised that they used a shapeshifter as the monster again. It’s a good monster, so I’m not complaining, but I was suspecting that it was the Trickster. It seemed like his style. Even though I didn’t like the last Trickster episode, I’m hoping he comes back at some point. But, speaking of monsters, I think we need to touch on how crazy this Shapeshifter actually is. They’re all pre-tty disturbed, but this one was really messed up. In the words of Dean: “I can't get over what a pumpkin-pie-eyed, crazy son of a bitch you really are.”

What a line!

I also liked that Jaime ended up saving the day in the end. I enjoyed seeing the whole “damsel in distress” thing turned on its head. And the DRAMA of the shapeshifter’s death. Bravo! It was great.

Anyway, it’s all fantastic in my opinion. I adored this episode. I really hope the show continues to do more of these fun, out of the box episodes.

Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9