Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 1

YAAAS! Uhtred of Bebbanburg is back!

Words cannot express how excited I am that The Last Kingdom is back for another season.  Season three ended on such an emotional note, and I really missed the show. Plus, the current lockdown is the perfect time to binge it.

Anyway, it looks like season four is off to a strong start. In this episode, Uhtred kidnapped someone, seduced a princess (to be fair, he had done that before), and started a new quest to reclaim his homeland...so, it was a pretty uneventful episode, right?

I have to say that, as always, I'm a sucker for romance, so my favorite scenes of the episode were the moments between Uhtred and Aethelflaed. They have this whole doomed love thing going on that I both love and hate. Like, I just want them to be together, okay? Is that too much to ask, Netflix?

Speaking of women I love on this show, my girl Brida is looking real good in this premiere. I think she got a new look or a haircut or something because she's looking FRESH. She seems happy with Cnut, which is kind of tragic because we know he's the one who is truly responsible for Ragnar's (he of the awesome forehead tattoo) death. I hope that Brida figures out what he did and takes bloody revenge on Cnut because I low-key hate that guy. Perhaps it's his SMUG attitude.

Smugness is not a good quality.

Speaking of SMUG, I have to tell you how much I high-key hate Aethelred. Like, will someone please just kill that guy already??? I've had it with him and his stupid haircut. Like, Aethelred makes me root for Cnut because I'm pretty sure Cnut has the best plan to dispose of him. In case you missed it, Cnut fed false information to Aethelred so that Aethelred would go and attack East Anglia. In the mean time, the Danes plan to conquer Mercia and draw out the armies of Wessex, leaving the kingdom vulnerable. I doubt this is going to be 100% succesful, but I'm hoping Aethelred the idiot dies in the process. It would be more satisfying if Uhtred killed him, but you can't have everything you want.

Another SMUG person is Aelswith, King Alfred's widow. Well, perhaps I should say formerly smug person, because she has definitely received her comeuppance in this episode. Aelswith has been more-or-less sidelined by her son and is mourning both the loss of her husband and the loss of her power. As much as I DESPISED her self-righteous attitude in previous seasons, I do feel a bit bad for her (but I am still kind of enjoying that fact that she is being THWARTED, what can I say, I'm vindictive like that).

Anyway, I guess we should get to the heart of the episode, which is Uhtred's quest to reclaim Bebbanburg. I have read most of the books that the show is based on, so I'm not going to comment on his chances of success.

However, I do have to criticize the show because I think it made Aelfric look unnecessarily incompetent. I mean, he's been in charge of Bebbanburg for like 20+ years now; there's no way he would have been able to hang on to it if he was truly THAT bad at leadership.

On the other hand, this is a TV show.

I do hope that Uhtred takes this chance to get closer to his son. They should be able to have plenty of long, insightful conversations (facilitated by Beocca, of course) on the journey north.

All in all, I think this was a good start to the season. The episode was a tad bit slow, but I think it's setting up for big, dramatic events in the coming episodes. I'm excited to see where season four takes us!

DESTINY IS ALL!!

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9