Review: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 4: Metamorphosis

I DID NOT like this episode.

I’m going to say that again because I want to be emphatic. I DID NOT like this episode.

It was so, so profoundly icky.

No, icky is the wrong word. It was GROSS. It was DISGUSTING. And, more than that, it was DISTURBING.

I mean, I’ve seen episodes of Supernatural that were repulsive and horrifying before, but this one really took the cake.

I don’t know about you, but I draw the line at cannibalism.

*SHUDDER*

Man, was this episode ever hard to watch. I had to look away more than half the time because I was so revolted. And it wasn’t just the cannibalism. It was all the other eating too! When he was shoveling down the raw hamburger I was ready to gag. In fact, I’m not even going to summarize the plot for you because it was so icky! If you want to know what happened, watch it. Or don’t. My roommate, who watches all the episodes with me, got up and started playing with the cats halfway through this episode because she couldn’t bear to watch anymore!

I mean, I don’t understand how they can even show this on television! I understand that Supernatural is a gory show, and I don’t mind that, but there’s such a thing as taking things too far.


I can’t fault the story telling or the plot or any of that jazz. The plot itself was interesting I guess; the parallels they drew between Sam and the monster guy, Jack were compelling.

Speaking of which, I’m on Sam’s side of the argument here. He has the powers, they’re not going away, and he’s using them for good. Maybe I’m a morally deficient human being, but what’s wrong with that? We’ve seen no evidence that Sam’s powers are causing him to commit evil acts and he appears to be completely in control. I get that Dean is upset that Sam is becoming a supernatural creature and Sam is upset that he has demon blood, but I feel like they’re both massively overreacting to what’s going on. Sam is a human with extras. Maybe I watch too many fantasy shows, but I can’t see the problem with that.

I’ll grant that Castiel telling Dean that Sam shouldn’t use his powers is a pretty good reason for Sam to stop, but Castiel didn’t really give them enough details. Personally, I need a better explanation. Plus, we all know that Sam is going to use his powers again. They telegraphed that so clearly they might as well have put up a neon sign. I imagine that using psychic powers is a bit like drinking diet coke. You don’t really like it, but once you start, you can’t stop.

JK, I really do love diet coke.

Rating: 5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9