Review: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 3: In the Beginning

So, I don’t want to imply that I haven’t been enjoying Supernatural up to this point, but this episode made me think, “Wow, this show is getting good!”

Seriously, I LOVED this episode. Which is really saying something because I’m normally not into the whole time travel thing. You have to be a really skilled storyteller to tackle it in a way that isn’t hacky. But, I have to give it to the writers of Supernatural; they KILLED this episode.

In case you need a recap, in this episode Castiel sends Dean back in time to stop something. Dean ends up meeting younger versions of his parents and learning a lot of stuff about his mother and her history with the yellow-eyed demon, realizing that she unknowingly made a deal to allow him to give his blood to Sam in exchange for bringing John back to life.

It was all very enlightening.

The whole time I was watching it, I just kept thinking “oh, now I understand.” Like, so many things just clicked into place when I saw this episode. It’s kind of incredible. Like, it was kind of messed up for Castiel to send him back in time and then not allow him to save his mom, but it was so satisfying to finally find out what went down with the yellow-eyed demon (I know he has a name, but I can’t be bothered to learn it). Although, of course, we still don’t really know what his master plan was.

But, aside from all the important plot stuff, there were so many fun things.

How completely and utterly cool is it that Mary was actually a hunter??? I mean, it gives a whole new meaning to “family business.” Although, it is kind of sad because she didn’t want her kids to follow in her footsteps.

But, come on, I can’t be the only one who wants a spin off show in which Dean and the teenage version of his mother fight ghosts and demons together? Or, at the very least a spin off show with Mary’s family hunting monsters in the ‘70s.

Also, on a random note, does anyone else feel like they’ve seen the actor who played Mary’s father in a million things? His face is super familiar to me.

Speaking of Mary’s parents, I was super tickled to realize that Mary named her sons after her parents: Samuel and Deanna (it was very creative to turn that into Dean).

There were so many cute moments in the show. I love Dean convincing his dad to buy the Impala. I love Dean introducing himself as Van Halen. I love him and his grandfather both showing up to investigate a case dressed as priests (great minds think alike, I guess). I mean, the results of this episode were kind of tragic, but I really loved seeing Dean interact with his parents again.

Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9