Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 3

Well, that episode was jam packed!

I actually felt like I was watching it for hours and hours because so many BIG things kept happening.

First of all, Uhtred escaped from Bebbanburg. I think we all knew that was going to happen. The rest of season four would have fallen pretty flat without him. More importantly (at least from an emotional perspective), however, Beocca is killed as Uhtred and his men escape.

I gotta be honest, that was a hard pill to swallow. I kind of felt like sitting with Uhtred on that hill top and having a good cry about it. Beocca has been with us since episode one, and he really is one of the only truly good guys on the show. To see him die in such a brutal fashion is really hard to accept, although at least he got to return to Bebbanburg before he died. Also, as Finan says, he is at peace with Thyra.

Now, THAT really brought a tear to my eye.

Overall, I thought this was a very emotional episode. Obviously, the whole thing was shadowed by the tragedy of Beocca's death, but we also had some wonderful moments when young Uhtred decided to accept his father. You have to hand it to Alexander Dreymon (who plays Uhtred), he's one heck of an actor. He delivered grief and hopelessness so well in this episode. I really felt his despair, even to the point that even I was feeling a little depressed!

Uhtred being Uhtred, however, is never down for long. I am actually really glad that Haesten told Uhtred what's up with Cnut. Uhtred seizing Cnut's kids was also a good move; that will give him some real bargaining power.  I'm guessing that Uhtred is going to go seek revenge now, which is good.

REVENGE is very good, as that taxi driver said in Seinfeld.

Anyway, I don't know what Haesten's end game is, but it seems to involve messing with every person I hate on this show, so I'm in FULL support.

Speaking of people who Haesten messed with, Eadith's brother is in BIG trouble. And, yes, I'm going to refer to him as Eadith's brother because I can't be bothered to learn the name of someone so utterly lame. Like, seriously, that dude MESSED up.  Even Aethelred would be justified in killing him, and there are few people that he is morally superior too.

That being said, Aethelred is a profoundly stupid individual. Who leaves their kingdom defenseless because you got a tip off from someone who used to be/is your mortal enemy?? I think it's the revolting hairstyle that clouds his judgement. Or, maybe he's naturally stupid.

Anyway, thanks to his idiocy, Aethelflaed now has the opportunity to shine like the QUEEN she is. Even though the odds are stacked against her, Aethelflaed and Uhtred are definitely going to win because they're way to important as characters to die at this point. Also, I'm fairly confident that Aethelflaed is pregnant. We've seen her touch her belly twice now, and, in TV speak, that means she's knocked up. However, this is slightly weird because the historical Aethelflaed only had one child. So, we'll have to see where this goes.

In any case, I'm glad Aethelflaed and Uhtred are back together. They make a nice couple.

The last big topic is Edward.

Guys, that fluffy haired kid drives me INSANE. Like, I know he's trying to be a big tough king and all that jazz, but he just comes off as obnoxious. Like, Edward is super SMUG. How many times do I have to say it? SMUGNESS is not a good quality.



Anyway, in the words of High School Musical, Edward needs to get his head in the game! He needs to start paying attention to his family and showing some respect to his mom (even though I dislike her too).

I assume that he will eventually take his armies to Mercia, but it's not a good look when you have to be dragged kicking and screaming before you do the right thing.

We'll have to wait for the next episode to see how it all shakes out!

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review