Review: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 1: Lazarus Rising

Did anyone else notice that Dean seemed to be wearing Sam’s clothes in this episode? I assume that he didn’t have his normal stylish wardrobe when he ascended from hell, so he had to borrow stuff from Sam because his clothes were uncharacteristically ugly in this episode. I mean, let’s keep it real, Sam is the fashion challenged brother. I think we all remember that stupid dog t-shirt that I railed against in season one.

Now, THAT gave me nightmares.

The important thing that happened in this episode was that Dean came back to life, which I’m very pleased about, obviously. But the clothes really caught my attention.

Anyway, we should probably talk about the actual plot now.

I kind of expected season 4 to start with a few episodes about Bobby and Sam getting Dean out of hell, but I’m kind of glad they didn’t make us go through that. I’m happy to have Dean back right away.

Basically, in this episode, Dean wakes up in his own grave and digs his way out. He has no memory of being in hell (which is probably good for his psyche), but he has a handprint burned onto his arm. Dean makes it to Bobby’s house, and Bobby immediately assumes that he’s some kind of monster (fair enough, that would be my assumption too), but Dean is able to prove that he isn’t. They go to find Sam, who also assumes that Dean is a monster (*heavy sigh*), but he eventually assumes that Dean is back. After going to a psychic (who gets her eyes burned out, that was a major ICK moment), Dean learns that an angel named Castiel pulled him out of hell.

On that note, I have to give Castiel the prize for best one liner in this episode: “I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition.” I mean, WHAT A LINE! That being said, I’m not sure if I like Castiel yet. He seems like a stick in the mud.

We also learn that Sam has been working with Ruby to develop his powers since the end of season 3. He can now exorcise demons with his mind, which is a handy trick if you ask me. I don’t want to be mean (especially because I know she’s Jared Padalecki’s wife in real life), but I don’t think I like the new actress playing Ruby. She just doesn’t seem very believable to me, and her acting is not great. Also, the last Ruby had so much sass and spunk. She seems a little vanilla in comparison.

Also, I think Supernatural needs to cut it out with that flashing lights, close up shot on eyes effect. They’re going to give someone an epileptic attack!

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review