Peaky Blinders: Season 5 Episode 2 Review

Ay yai yai, the DRAMA.

Where do I even begin with all this DRAMA?

First of all, can I say that I don't think criminal gangs should sing? Like, the fact that the Billy Boys crucified Bonnie Gold was bad enough, but did they have to introduce themselves by singing? I mean, there's psycho, and then there's psycho. And these guys make the Mafia last season look like boy scouts.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that Tommy will be able to deal with them, but I shudder to think of what's going to happen along the way. That explosive device at the beginning of the episode gave me some serious anxiety for starters.

Also, I gotta say that I really felt for Lizzie in this episode. I mean, I think her personality is a good match for him, and she clearly loves him, but being Tommy's wife must be simply hellish.  Who can blame her if she finds the drugs, drinking, violence, paranoia, and emotional inaccessibility too much to bear? Plus, Tommy was actually kind of cruel to her in this episode, saying that he still "pays her for it" in his mind and criticizing her spelling. I mean, I think she'll stay with him because the Peaky Blinders have a way of pulling people back in, but raising kids with a guy like Tommy must be incredibly difficult. (On the subject of Tommy's family, I hate to say it, but I don't think Charlie is going to grow up to be a musician. His violin playing was well and truly horrible.)

I have less sympathy for Linda, mainly because I've never really liked Linda as a character all that much. But, I have to say that Arthur doesn't treat her well at all, and she would be totally justified in leaving him or whatever. Although, I have to say that I don't like her pushing Arthur to supplant Tommy. We all know--and she should know too!--that Arthur is not capable of stepping into the role, and promoting conflict between the brothers is a disastrous idea.

Speaking of family conflict, I am very wary of going on with Michael. It's really tough for me to tell if he has, in fact, betrayed Tommy. I'm going to guess that he hasn't, but Michael is the kind of guy who is really unreadable when it comes to these things. At the very least, he betrayed Tommy last season, and he severely let him down when he lost all the family money. I also do not like his new wife. It's like she thinks she can tame lions because she once had a house cat; she is way too arrogant! (That's not a great analogy, but you get what I mean). Also, could they make her anymore stereotypically American? It's almost as bad as the Italians last season!

All I can say is thank goodness Ada knows what she's doing! I think I've said it before, but Ada is quickly becoming my favorite character on the show. She has good relationships with all her siblings (just the right amount of exasperated affection), she's independent, outspoken, bold, and her fashion sense is unimpeachable. I love her sassy responses to Mosley. Slay queen!'

In fact, the only thing I don't like about this episode is that it defames black cats. Why are black cats omens of disaster and betrayal? I assure you that they're just as loving and cuddly as other cats, and their fur goes with everything!

Rating: 8.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review