Review: Supernatural Season 3, Episode 9: Malleus Maleficarum

I hate to say it, but I feel like this witch episode was kind of a snoozer.

Like, I just have a hard time caring about witches who are trying to reduce their mortgage payments. If I wanted to see the banalities of suburban neighborhoods on display, I have my life.

Also, I gotta say that these witches were particularly icky.

Like that scene with the teeth falling out gave me SHIVERS, and don’t even get me started on the maggots in the burger.

In case you need a recap, in this episode Sam and Dean encounter a coven of witches that is responsible for killing two people. They begin to investigate and find that a group of suburban housewives are practicing magic while pretending to be in a book club. Which, frankly, sounds much more exciting than actually being in a book club. However, before they go after the witches, Ruby turns up to warn them that the coven is actually being controlled by a powerful demon, who they shouldn’t mess with. However, the coven attacks Dean, which, of course, prompts Sam to spring into action. The end result is that Sam and Dean end up tangling with the demon after all, but fortunately they are able to kill the demon thanks to help from Ruby.

On a side note, teaming up with her has turned out to be very helpful. Hopefully that trend will continue.

Like I said, I was very much NOT into the plot of this episode, and I found it to be quite unappealing overall. HOWEVER, we did learn some important things: a) demons were all actually humans once; that’s an interesting twist in the mythology and b) Ruby can’t actually save Dean from Hell.

I mean, I don’t know about you, but I think that ROYALLY sucks. I mean, talk about false hope! It’s a good thing that Ruby was useful in this episode because otherwise I’d be hating her pretty significantly right about now.

Rating: 5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Review: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 21: When the Levee Breaks