Review: Supernatural Season 3, Episode 11: Mystery Spot

I low-key, high-key HATED this episode. Like, those are strong words for an episode of Supernatural, but I really did not like it.

First of all, I should start this off by saying that I hate Groundhog’s Day, so the concept of this episode didn’t impress me much (in case you don’t remember, in this episode the Trickster puts Sam and Dean in a time loop in which they repeat Tuesday over and over again, with Dean dying each time). I don’t like the whole “day repeats forever thing” because a) it gets a little boring and b) it’s actually really stressful. Like, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten to the end of Groundhog’s Day because at a certain point it just makes me so upset I can’t watch it anymore. Every time the day repeats, I just get this mounting sense of anxiety, and it’s truly terrible.

SO. As you can imagine, I didn’t like that Tuesday kept replaying itself in this episode. I felt second hand anxiety for Sam. First of all, repeating that day again and again is torture, and Dean dying every time is an added source of horror. I get that they tried to make it humorous and even make Dean’s death(s) funny, but I personally found it all very stressful and not even slightly funny.

Aside from all that, I am annoyed with this episode from a plot perspective. Like, what a way to waste the Trickster! The writers could have done so much more with a second Trickster episode. I mean, the last one had slow-dancing aliens! This one fell flat in comparison. Also, from a character perspective, I struggle to understand why the Trickster cares to teach Sam and Dean this “lesson.”

I mean, why does he care? Why invest so much time into this? Why is he even interested in Sam and Dean’s demon troubles in the first place? It would be like if your kindergarten teacher showed up randomly in your life twenty years later to give you a lecture about the importance of checking your tire pressure. Like, what?? There’s no reason the Trickster needs to be involved in any way. What authority does he have to teach them lessons about family relationships? Plus, there’s no reason he should care that Sam is able to function without Dean. It’s not like he has any sort of investment in Sam’s success.

And, the “six months later” part of the episode was truly baffling. It just felt like something that was tacked on because the writers didn’t have a good way to end the episode. All of these scenes felt TERRIBLY awkward. *Cringe.*

I will say this for “Mystery Spot” though, pig in a poke is pretty hilarious.

Rating: 4/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review