Peaky Blinders: Season 5 Episode 5 Review

I think Tommy gets the award for quote of the episode. I love it when he was like "I had a more elaborate plan to deal with Mosley, but then he spoke badly to my wife."

Come on, you can't tell me that wasn't awesome. Tommy is such a G I can't even stand it! That smooth way he announced that he was going to kill Mosley was just so SMOOTH. This is why Cillian Murphy deserves all the acting awards.

I certainly hope that the assassination plan goes off without a hitch. No one deserves to be killed more than Mosley.

Did you hear that disgusting speech he made at Tommy's party? Did you see the way everyone reacted? Honestly, someone needs to put a bullet in his head. That character enrages me.

I mean, I assume someone will deal with him because the PBs always defeat their enemies before the end of the season, and Mosley is not nearly as wiley as he thinks he is. All the same, I do have to agree with Lizzie: Tommy needs to stop getting into these "way over his head" situations. He's worrying me!

But, anyway, we should move on from this topic because there was a lot more DRAMA in this episode.

First of all, I'm actually quite sad that Ben Younger is dead. He was obviously a good guy, and he didn't deserve to die that fiery death. I also thought his relationship with Ada was really cute. Even though she didn't love him, I was glad she had a good man in her life. And now her baby will grow up without a father. Honestly, that's really tragic.

Speaking of people being dead, I'm happy that Linda is alive. It seems like she's going to try to get herself far, far away from the Peaky Blinders, and that's probably a good thing.

On the other hand, Arthur is teetering on the brink of a complete psychological breakdown, per usual. As always, I'm deeply concerned about him, but I have to say that I loved that moment when he went charging out to take down the other gang members with a machine gun. And the way he called the gun his dad? That was just crazy enough to be entertaining.

The other major plot point in this episode was Tommy going to visit his old friend Barney in the asylum. I'm assuming this is a fairly accurate representation of asylums from this time, which is probably the most disturbing part of this episode. It's hard to imagine that people could have treated mentally ill individuals with so little compassion and humanity such a short time ago.

On the other hand, I thought this scene was a really good representation of why Tommy is a likable character. It's revealed in this scene that Tommy has been sending Barney letters for years, and the way he jokes with him is more proof of his essential compassion and empathy. I also like that, whenever Tommy has a job to be done, he can find someone from his past to do it. I think that  that speaks to his ability to create strong, durable relationships and inspire loyalty. Aside from all that, I was quite entertained by their interaction. I think "big bang on Wednesday" should be the tag line of this episode.

On a side note, don't think I didn't notice that Alfie was mentioned in this episode. Is he coming back? Is he secretly alive? I am on the edge of my seat to find out.

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review