Peaky Blinders: Season 5 Episode 1 Review

If there's one thing we learned in this episode, it's that no one listens to Tommy.

I can't say I know why that's the case. He's clearly the man with all the answers and a plan for everything. Plus, he's far and away the most attractive person on the show. Although, Arthur is giving him a run for his money with his new haircut. That is a lewk.


I am a tad bit concerned about Tommy's suicidal tendencies and the fact the fact that he's hallucinating about his dead wife, but it wouldn't be Peaky Blinders if someone wasn't on the brink of a complete psychological breakdown, and it might as well be Tommy. Although, I have to say that he's almost disturbingly calm about losing all his money. He might be crazy, but he's got nerves of steel.

Speaking of people with psychological problems, I'm concerned about Finn. He's obviously trying to live up to his older brothers, but a) he's not cut out for that lifestyle and b) the Shelby company is moving away from the need for outright violence (from family members anyway). If Finn isn't careful, he's going to get everyone in trouble. I do hope we get to know him better in this season though; his character is criminally underdeveloped.

On the other hand, my girl Ada was slaying in this episode. Her sunglasses and sassy remarks were on point! Plus, I'm suitably impressed that she's planning to have an illegitimate, mixed-race child in 1930. That is a bold move!

Speaking of women, I loved Polly's comeback to the pompous Mr. Greene in the boardroom. "We've just established that women are decorative." How withering! I love it. Plus, watching Arthur stumble through that speech about how the stock market crash was a terrible thing that will impact people in Hong Kong was kind of adorable. Whatever would we have done if he had died at the end of season four?

Overall, this wasn't my favorite episode of Peaky Blinders, but I can already tell that it's setting up some delightful plot lines that I'm absolutely going to relish. I mean, who isn't excited for Michael's naive American girlfriend to meet the family?

Poor Michael, he hasn't been able to get anything right for going on two seasons now.

On another note, I have to say that I am de-lighted—positively delighted—that Tommy and Lizzie are married. I've been saying it for a while now, but I'll say it again: Lizzie is the best woman for Tommy at this stage in his life. She's got her head on straight, she doesn't put up with any nonsense from Tommy, and she's endlessly patient with the insane life her husband leads. Also, her little girl is incredibly adorable. I hope we see lots of her.

Continuing on that theme, I loved seeing Tommy as a dad in this episode. Whatever else you say about him, Tommy clearly loves his kids deeply, and he's pretty good with them. Obviously, he feel out with Charlie over the death of the horse in this episode, but he even dealt with that pretty well. Again, it's clear that Tommy has endless love and patience for his kids, even if he doesn't always show it in the most conventional way.

Not to mention that he's also good with dogs. Don't think I didn't notice that he adopted Alfie's dog from season four's finale. I tell you, Tommy has a heart of gold.

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review