Review: Supernatural Season 8, Episode 3: Heartache

Mayan corn god, huh? Well, THAT’S a new one. I give them points for creativity in coming up with the “monster” for this episode.

However, I gotta be honest, I didn’t really like this episode. It just felt kind of weird, ya know?

I’m not sure what it was, but something was off with this episode. There was no emotional resonance, and it didn’t seem to fit in with the arc of the season. Actually, it was really a let down after the first two episodes.

Also, was it really necessary to tie this episode in with Mayan culture? As far as I can tell (based on my Wikipedia research), the god they referenced isn’t even really part of the Mayan pantheon. Plus, if Brick Holmes really was an ancient Mayan athlete, why does he look like a stereotypical white guy?

All I’m saying is that it seems like this episode was in bad taste.

Plus, it centered around sports, which is always the quickest way to bore me.

Anyway, in general, I’m just going to say that the show could have done without this episode. It didn’t bring anything to the table. The only major plot point was that Dean is still upset at Sam for quitting hunting for a year, and Sam is still thinking about quitting life as a hunter.

Now, this whole disagreement seems weird and forced to me. Dean also quit hunting for about a year, so I think he could be a little more understanding of Sam (on the other hand, I am still angry with Sam for not looking for Dean at all). Plus, Sam has said in previous seasons that he no longer wants a normal life. So it just all seems a bit strange to me.

Plus, if Sam really loved his normal life, why hasn’t he tried to contact his girlfriend Amelia at all? He seemed ready to dump her with no explanation at the drop of a hat, which doesn’t seem like the behavior of someone who is content with their life.

Speaking of which, I don’t think we’ve talked enough about how gross Sam’s behavior was in regards to Amelia. As far as we know (please correct me if I’m wrong), he left his girlfriend in the middle of the night without telling her anything and never contacted her again. What a HORRIBLE thing to do! Like, at least Dean kept Lisa updated when they were together. Plus, it’s not cool for Sam to walk out on his dog.

All I’m saying is that I don’t want this argument between Sam and Dean to endlessly continue for the rest of the season. It’s boring and irrelevant. We all know that Sam is not going to quit hunting. There are seven more seasons!

Rating: 4/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review