Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 8

Every time I watch this show, I'm reminded of how tough life used to be for humans. Don't get me wrong, life is still tough for many humans around the world, but you don't get bands of marauding Danes with fire arrows anymore, do you?

I know that we've had almost four whole seasons of violence on this show, but I still find that I can be amazed by the level of brutality that characters produce. It's simply jaw-dropping, isn't it? Like, that river of fire almost made me want to cry, and I'm not even rooting for the Welsh in this show! 

Plus, Brida was just a SAVAGE in this episode. Don't get me wrong, I sort of love that about her. If we've learned anything, it's that women have to find ways to defend themselves on this show. But, her execution of that Welsh nobleman was a masterpiece of cruelty. I mean, he definitely deserved it, but I shudder to think what will happen to Uhtred if Brida ever finds him again. 

The feud between Uhtred and Brida is really sad, isn't it? They were a very good team. Instead, Brida has to team up with this Sigtryggr guy, who I'm really struggling to believe as a leader. Honestly, I think that was bad casting. That actor doesn't bring any command or presence to the role. It's kind of disappointing. Plus, his hair looks stupid. 

Speaking of powerful women, I love that Æthelflæd finally gets to be the ruler of Mercia. She's so obviously the best person for the job, I'm a little gobsmacked that no one realized it before. Obviously, she's going to do a fantastic job. I think we all already know that. Æthelflæd already saved Mercia once this season, and you can bet your bottom dollar that she's going to do it again. 

It is sad that Æthelflæd and Uhtred don't get to be together. Uhtred always seems to separated from the person he loves, doesn't he? However, in this case, I don't think it will be for long because he'll have to help Æthelflæd when the Danes attack. 

On the subject of our main character, I have to give a shout out to that baptism scene. It was WONDERFULLY dramatic. And, actually, the moment his head went under the water was powerful. I think that was really well shot. This show just gets better and better, right?

Someone who does not get better and better is Edward. There is no character more childish and petulant than Edward, not even Eardwulf the irritating! In every episode, I get a wisp of hope that Edward will behave sensibly, then he does something idiotic, and all my hopes go out the window! In this episode, he threw a major temper tantrum because he didn't want his sister to be the queen. His arrogance is absolutely insufferable! Plus, as previously noted, his hairstyle makes him look like a toddler. 

On a happier note, there is a nice little romance budding between Eadith and Finan. I want a lot more of that in the next two episodes. In fact, I think that the whole show should be about them from now on. With Stiorra as their warrior adopted daughter.  

Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review