Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9

Edward really is an idiot isn't he?

Seriously! I'm amazed he's managed to survive as king as long as he has. He has no sense; and he certainly doesn't have fashion sense either. Charging the walls of Winchester like an angry toddler was the absolute height of foolishness. I continue to be disappointed by him in this season. How did Alfred's son get to be so stupid? 

On the other hand, almost everyone else is impressing me. 

My girl Eadith was AMAZING in this episode. Have I mentioned before how much I like her? The way she killed that Dane and freed Uhtred and the guys was so incredibly brave. I could never have done that;  come to think of it, I don't think I would even have thought of that. I'm not good with ideas under pressure. Eadith did let herself down a little bit because she revealed who she was, but that was a difficult moment for her, so I'll forgive it. I imagine she's going to get through this alive because she NEEDS to reunite with Finan. They need to kiss at least once!

Stiorra is also doing me proud in this episode. Again, I have to comment on her bravery (notice how the women are always the brave ones on this show; it says something, doesn't it?). She really held it together, even when she thought she might die. Not to mention that her conversations with Sigtryggr are GOLD. Their interactions are just really interesting and engaging.

That reminds me, I have to take back what I said about Sigtryggr in my last review. His hair still looks dumb, but he's growing on me. Dare I say it? I find him kind of charming. Also, I appreciate that he's clever, and he's thinking a few steps ahead. He wants to be a ruler, not just a warrior. I like a warlord who plans for the long term. I also appreciate that he killed Eardwulf for us. Someone really should have done that a long time ago; if they had, Wessex would still be in Edward's hands. 

Returning to Edward's family, I continue to be both annoyed and impressed by Ælswith. Again, her bravery is laudable, but she doesn't always make the best decisions? I did find it funny when she said that Alfred had seen something in Uhtred that no one else had, and Pyrlig was like "no, that was just you." Anyway, I do hope that no one kills her because Ælswith is annoying me. I wouldn't be too sad if something happened to Edward's wife or father-in-law though. 

I'm also starting to get fed up with Brida, which is disappointing to me. I always liked Brida, but I think she's letting her desire for revenge take over her personality. The old Brida would never have suggested killing Stiorra to get even with Uhtred. She used to be strategic and clever, now she's just bloodthirsty. Maybe having her baby will mellow her out, but I doubt it. I hate to say it, but I don't enjoy Brida as a character anymore. If something happened to her in the season finale, I would be upset, but I think it would be right for the plot. However, I don't want to predict too much because I'm sure the finale is going to be insane.

Overall, I thought this was a FAN-TASTIC episode. I just hope that the season finishes strong with episode ten. 

Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review