Review: Supernatural Season 8, Episode 2: What's Up, Tiger Mommy?

So, this was another really solid, entertaining episode that moved the plot along. After seasons and seven being somewhat mediocre (no shade to Supernatural; I wouldn’t be spending all this time reviewing the show if I didn’t like it), I have to say that I’m really digging the direction that season eight is taking. I’m really looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Anyway, the main focus of this episode was Kevin Tran, his mother, and the demon tablet. Naturally, the Winchesters are trying to help Kevin secure the tablet so that he can tell them how to banish all the demons from the world. We learn in this episode that the tablet has been stolen, so Kevin, his mom, and the Winchesters travel to some sort of magical auction of the weird and wacky to try to get it back.

Obviously, they don’t get it back because that would be way too easy. However, I assume that tracking down this tablet is going to be a main focus this season.

I have to say that I am really enjoying Kevin’s mom; she was the highlight of this episode in my opinion. She’s a tough cookie, and I love that about her. Plus, anyone who slaps Crowley in the face deserves a gold medal in the demon hunting Olympics. I hope she sticks around on the show for a while because we can always use another strong female character.

Kevin himself isn’t quite as strong in this episode, but he is still new to being a Prophet of the Lord, so I’m going to cut him a break. He is growing into his new role though (and his new haircut). If I were him, I wouldn’t have run away from Sam and Dean, but I can see why he did it. (Plus, I’m pretty sure he’s going to end up going back to them at some point).

Dean holding Kevin’s mom at knife point was a really, really bad move, even if she was possessed. Like I said before, Dean really needs therapy because he’s letting purgatory mess with his head, and he’s not thinking straight.

Speaking of Purgatory, we’re finally learning what happened to Castiel! Which is incredibly SAD. It appears that Castiel didn’t make it out when they left Purgatory; however, I don’t think that means he’s dead, so I assume the Winchesters will eventually get him back one way or another. I don’t think we’ve gotten the full story about what happened in Purgatory though. Castiel was definitely hiding something when he was talking about why he ran away from Dean.

My only complaint about this episode is that I’m not sure what to do with the weird guy who traded the bone and the virgin for Thor’s hammer. The writers kind of set him up to be the villain of the episode, but, to be honest, he didn’t really do anything. He was a background character at best. Hopefully he has greater significance later in the season because otherwise that’s pretty bad writing. (Although, I was pretty amused by the moldy finger bone in the safety deposit box).

Also, what kind of an angel name is Alfie?

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review