Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 7

Well, things move fast in Mercia, don't they?

To be honest, I had a hard time following all the coming and goings from Aegelesburg and who was ploting against whom, but I think the end result is that everyone is more-or-less back where they were a few episode.

The notable exception is that Edward has finally decided to behave with *some* degree of logic (although his hair and clothes still look dumb, if you ask me) and Uhtred is on his way to becoming Lord of Mercia, which doesn't really seem to be his style. Don't get me wrong, I think he would be a great ruler, but there's nothing that really binds Uhtred to Mercia, except Æthelflæd.

Speaking of Æthelflæd, I really felt for her in this episode. She's had a tough couple of weeks! I hope she has some time to hang out with her daughter and relax. Although, the Danes seem to be invading again, so she'll probably have to be on the battlefield again in an hour or so. 

Talking about the Danes, I am glad that Brida FINALLY got out of that torture pit. Watching those weirdo Welsh guys tormenting her week after week was really getting old. Although, I'm a bit concerned that she's now seeking revenge on Uhtred. Her situation wasn't really his fault, and I don't think he intended for any harm to come to her. Uhtred can't catch a break, can he? 

Setting Brida aside, I have to criticize the choice to cast whoever is playing Sigtryggr. He looks like a twelve year old trying to grow his first beard, and I don't think much of his acting. 

Overall, I didn't think this was a particularly strong episode. I found myself checking how many minutes were left in the episode and wishing it was already over. There was a lot of boring and pointless political negotiation and riding across the country without much purpose. In my opinion, this episode was useful only in that it reset the chess board for the final few episodes. It wasn't enjoyable in and of itself. 

Also, can someone please get Æthelflæd something new to wear? She's been in that pink dress the entire season; it has to be pretty stinky by now. 

Rating: 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review