Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 22: Devil’s Trap

Wow! That ending though!

Talk about a cliffhanger. I just about jumped out of my skin when that truck plowed into them ! imagine all the people in 2006 having to wait a year to find out how that ending resolved itself; I mean, I suppose it could have been potentially longer than a year because no one knew if the show would be renewed at this point.

As you can probably guess, I have THOUGHTS about this episode. I mean, there was so much here to unpack, I don’t know where to start.

But, before we dive in, I do think we should have a moment of silence for Bobby’s dog, which appears to have been killed by demon-Meg. Like, seriously? This was the first time there was a pet in the show, and it DIES. Not cool. I can countenance a lot of disturbing and messed up things in this show, but killing a dog is one thing I can not deal with!

Anyway, let me get off my soapbox and back to the main plot.

In case you need a recap, this episode starts out with the boys learning that their father has been captured by Meg and her demon crew. Dean is convinced that John isn’t dead, and they consult another hunter named Bobby for advice. Meg follows them to Bobby’s house, but Sam and Dean manage to exorcise the demon out of human-Meg’s body. Without the demon, human-Meg dies almost right away, but she does manage to tell the boys where they can find their father. They show up to rescue John (making excellent use of fireman's gear), and manage to bring him to a cabin, where—surprise, surprise—they learn that John is actually possessed by the demon who killed Mary and Jessica.

I want to draw attention to the fact that Dean recognized that his dad wasn’t his dad because his real dad would never miss a chance to berate him for his mistakes. You know you have a messed up relationship with your parents when a demon is more warm and cuddly.

Anyway, drama ensues, and the demon is eventually forced out of John’s body. The Winchesters have a brief moment to sing kumbaya before a possessed truck driver plows a semi into the Impala. So yeah, that’s ONE way to end an episode.

Like I said, a LOT of stuff happened here. I think this was a really strong season finale because we’re left with a ton of questions: what’s going to happen with The Colt? Will they be able to kill the demon? Are the Winchesters even alive?

I mean, I think Sam is going to be fine because we saw him moving at the end of the episode (with the very apt “Bad Moon Rising” playing in the background), but I wouldn’t be surprised if something happened to Dean or John, which is ANXIETY INDUCING. I mean, I don’t even like John that much, but I want to know what happens.

Aside from that (and that’s a big aside), we got to see Sam and Dean do some very creative demon fighting as firemen, which I really enjoyed (again with kicking down doors, it gets me every time). Also, now we know about Devil’s Traps, which will almost certainly come up again. If I were Sam and Dean, I would be drawing those EVERYWHERE. It just seems like a good insurance policy. I wonder what would happen if you got a tattoo of the Devil’s Trap? Would that mean that any demon who tried to touch you would be trapped? Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty handy to me. Of course, if you were trapped with the demon, that wouldn’t be so good. Hopefully all of this will be explored next season.

On another note, I hope we see more of Bobby going forward. He seems to know what’s up. I’m still upset about that dog though.

Anyway, now that I’ve watched a full season of Supernatural, I have to admit that I’m well and truly hooked. I think I’m in it for the long haul with this show, so buckle up for a bunch more episode reviews coming your way.

Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9