Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 2 Review

Well, I guess we know why they call them Peaky Blinders now.

I can't lie, when I first saw the hats with razor blades in episode one, I didn't think it was particularly menacing, maybe because it looks a bit funny. However, after watching them cut up the Lee family at the beginning of this episode, I am appropriately menaced by the Peaky Blinders.

Seriously though, this was such 👏 a 👏good 👏episode! I LOVED it.

If you need a recap, we basically just learned more about the Shelby family in this episode and continued some of the plot lines we started in episode one. The PBs get into a fight with the Lee family after Tommy stops by the fair to get a horse. When they return, they find that the police have raided the communists and smashed up the bars they protect, all in search of the guns that the PBs stole. Thomas retaliates by burning photos of the king, telling a reporter that the residents of Small Heath didn't want the king to see the things the police are doing to them,

I thought this was a FAN-TASTIC scene. Thomas has this great air of put-upon but understated drama as he tells the reporter about what happened. Cillian Murphy played it exactly right. The whole scene is kind of unintentionally hilarious because we know that the PBs are putting on this whole elaborate show to get back at Campbell. I also loved when the reporter asks Thomas in what capacity he's speaking, and he's like "in no capacity." Like, come on Tommy, we all know you run this town.

After all of these shenanigans,  Tommy meets with Inspector Campbell to make a deal. The PBs give him the guns, and the police turn a blind eye to all their enterprises. This meeting also gave Tommy the opportunity to deliver the best line ever: "Why would I shake the hand of a man who didn't even fight for his country?"


As I was watching it, I was like "oh, that was a SICK burn, Tommy!"

And the best part was he delivered that line totally stony faced. I call that ice cold, A+ perfection.

Speaking of drama, we learned in this episode that Ada is pregnant with Freddie's baby. I'm sure this is going to end well, right? I'm not completely sold on the Ada and Freddie relationship, but I hope that Ada stays strong and keeps her baby. Although, this whole situation gave Aunt Polly a chance to give a very compelling speech about why she should not. Helen McCrory, who plays Aunt Polly, acted this moment to pieces. She was so good! Seriously, I feel like everyone in this show needs to win an award; they're all turning in stellar performances.

Anyway, our fearless leader Tommy is not to psyched that his sister is knocked up. I love it when he storms into that movie theatre and tells everyone to get out so that Ada can tell him who impregnated her. That was a gangster move right there. And Ada was even better when she told the projectionist to put her movie back on after Tommy left. It was so wonderfully prima donna-ish.

Of course, the best moments in the episode were between Tommy and Grace. I ship them together so hard. I think they would be a great power couple (you know, if Grace wasn't working for the police). Tommy invites her to come to the races, which I hope means we're going to see more of them together. After he has to kill the white horse (which was really sad; I hate it when bad things happen to animals in TV or movies), Tommy tells Grace that he got used to seeing men die in France but not horses. I think this is interesting because it shows that, while Tommy is hardened, he also has a softer side, which I'm looking forward to seeing.

We also got to meet Billy Kimber in this episode. He talks a big game, but I have a feeling that Tommy is going to make mince meat of him real quick and in a hurry. Kimber doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb if you ask me. I'm not super invested in this plot line at the moment, but we'll see where it goes.

In other news, I gotta say that the theme song is starting to grow on me. I probably wouldn't listen to "Red Right Hand" ordinarily, but it vibes with this show. Although, as a left handed person, I have to say that my people are underrepresented in the media, so I wouldn't mind if it were called "Red Left Hand" instead. Although, maybe it wouldn't have the same ring,

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9