Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 19: Provenance

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: little girl ghosts creep me out. Like, there is nothing more frightening to me in this show than the evil little girls. Which is why I found this episode to be absolutely, positively TERRIFYING.

I mean, the creepy moving painting by itself would have put me over the edge. When you throw in the murderous little girl with the razor blade and the doll with human hair, I’m down for the count. Seriously, I think I covered my eyes for at least 50% of this episode.

On the plus side, Sam had a love connection in this episode (cue the heart emojis). I ship him with Sarah. They are a really cute couple. I like that Sarah wants to help to track down evil spirits. If that’s not a great idea for a date night, I don’t know what is. I hope that we see Sarah in future episodes, but, somehow, I don’t think we will. All the same, I think it was important for Sam to form some sort of romantic relationship after losing Jessica. Obviously, what happened to Jessica is going to continue to play a big role in the show, but I think we can all agree that Sam should move on and forgive himself for her death.

Anyway, back to talking about the actual episode.

In case you need a recap, Sam and Dean catch wind of a haunted painting in upstate New York. Whoever owns the painting is murdered directly after buying it. The boys learn that painting depicts a murdered family that was supposedly killed by the father. They surmise that the father’s spirit is attached to the painting and is recreating his murderous acts. So, with Sarah’s help, they salt and burn his bones. (By the way, Sarah wins the award for best line here, “you guys seem way too comfortable with this” (or something like that)). Unfortunately, they realize that the father was never actually the killer; it was, in fact, the adopted daughter, who had killed her first family too. Doubly unfortunately, they only realize this after Sam and Sarah are locked in a house with the little girl ghost and a razor blade.

Seriously, the creepy level on THAT is next level. *Shudder*.

Fortunately, Dean burns the doll that the girl’s spirit is attached to and saves the day. Yay Dean!

As much as this episode FREAKED. ME. OUT. I have to say that the plot was on point here. The plot twist was great. I can’t imagine that anyone saw it coming. And, like I said, I love Sam and Sarah together. The only awkward moment was when Sam and Dean were breaking into the auction house and the directors decided to add a weird fast forward effect as they climbed over the fence. It was very 2006 action movie-esque, and not in a good way.

On another note, I have to ask why people continue to buy this painting. I mean, this is not good art, even minus the ghosts. In fact, it is extremely ugly. Art lovers of the world, do me a favor and buy something a little prettier next time; I doubt there are many haunted paintings of horses and flowers.

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9