Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 21: Salvation

Well guys, this is it. Sam and Dean and John finally have an opportunity to kill the thing that killed Mary and Jessica. Prett-y big deal. But, of course, it wasn’t that simple.

The whole time they were winding up to go into the house and get the demon, I kept thinking, “it can’t be this easy, right?” I mean, I kind of expected the finding and killing of the demon to go on for two or three seasons at least, which is why it was good(?) they didn’t end up destroying the demon. I feel like that storyline deserves a more satisfying conclusion.

This was an interesting episode because we touched on a lot of plots and a lot of stuff happened, but I don’t really feel like the story arc as a whole moved a lot. This episode kind of felt like it was just setting the stage for the finale; it’s obviously important, but on its own it’s not very memorable.

Basically what happens is the Winchesters get wind that the demon is going to attack another family. They’re able to figure out who it will be, and they figure it will be the perfect opportunity to take down the monster that’s been ruining their lives. However, as their planning to kill the demon with The Colt, John hears from Meg that she will kill John’s hunter friends until he gives her the gun. John decides to give her a fake gun to buy time for Sam and Dean to kill the demon, but he ends up getting captured instead. And, to make matters worse, the demon disappears just as Sam takes a shot at him.

As I said, I think this episode is all set up in terms of plot, but I gotta give Dean props for standing up to his dad in this episode. When John started talking about about Dean should have called him when Sam started having visions, I was like “give me a break!” And then, I was immediately gratified because Dean said the exact same thing. Seriously, if you can’t call your kids back when one of them is dying, you don’t deserve to be in the loop anymore. Let’s note this as reason #341 that John Winchester is a bad parent.

On another note, I am frankly shocked that the mother in this episode told Sam anything at all about her family. This is a plot problem that I constantly run into with Supernatural. In my experience, people get suspicious if you so much as ask them their name. So, I don’t get how Sam can approach a random woman on the street, ask her about her baby and get an answer. Just imagine if a rando dude came up to you and started asking you about your kids? That’s super weird! If I were that lady, I would be blowing my creep whistle and calling the police (provided, of course, that I didn’t recognize Sam from his role on the hit series Supernatural, in which case I would be asking for his autograph).

I mean, maybe people in Iowa are just more friendly? I’m from the Northeast, which is notoriously unfriendly. My aunt used to joke that PA had to get rid of the “You’ve Got a Friend in Pennsylvania” slogan because no one here wants to be your buddy. All I’m saying is that the civilians in Supernatural all must have missed the day in kindergarten when they taught the class about stranger danger, because they are all way to trusting of Sam and Dean. That goes double for Sam. He is nowhere near as charming as Dean!

Anyway, I digress. I think the biggest take away from this episode is that 1) demons should not trust other demons 2) holy water is cute (?) (seriously, what on Earth was that line) and 3) Dean is not willing to kill the demon if it means losing Sam or his dad. I’m with Dean on that one; I get that Sam wants revenge, but I think being alive ranks a *little* bit higher.

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review