Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 13: Route 666

Okay, so, I’m glad that Dean had a love connection in this episode (although that sex scene was one of the most awkward things I’ve ever seen on TV. Who picked that music???), but, let’s keep it real, this episode was pretty weak.

In this episode, we’re introduced to Dean’s first love, Cassie. They reunite because Cassie believes that something supernatural has killed her father (so romantic, right?). Sam and Dean investigate and discover that her father and his friends are being picked off by a vengeful spirit, Cyrus Dorian. While he was alive, Dorian generally tormented the African American people in the community and specifically tried to prevent Cassie’s parents from getting married because they were an interracial couple. Cassie’s father and his friends were eventually forced to kill Dorian in self defense. His ghost manifests as a large truck, which is bent on running his enemies off the road and killing them. Fortunately, Sam and Dean are able to destroy the ghost by luring the truck to hallowed ground.

Although I thought this was an important story, especially in the context of modern day America, I didn’t feel like it fit the tone of Supernatural. As far as I can tell, the show never really touches on political or social issues, so I felt like this episode came out of left field.

Also, like, come on, a haunted truck? It’s just kind of a lame idea. I feel like if they really wanted to do this episode, they could have come up with something more creative and interesting than a haunted truck. I mean, seriously.

But, awkward sex scene aside, the big story in this episode was Dean and Cassie. Like, I know we only saw them together on screen for like 15 minutes, but I am shipping them so hard right now. They just have really good chemistry as a couple; I could definitely see their personalities *gelling* together. They’ve both got that no-nonsense, get-’er-done attitude, but with a softer side too.

Maybe their relationship is so appealing because we very rarely see this kind of emotional vulnerability from Dean. The fact that he told Cassie who he really was and she rejected him must have just been DEVASTATING for Dean. I mean, you can really feel that when he tells her that she hurt him. I mean, how often do we see scenes like that from Dean Winchester?

I kind of doubt that we’ll see Cassie again because their goodbye seemed pretty final, but I hope there’s another couple I can ship at some point. Right now the best love story in the show is between Dean and his car.

Rating: 5/10

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review