Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 16: Shadow

If one thing’s for sure, it’s that it’s not safe to be in the opening scene of an episode of Supernatural. Like, when that girl was being chased by the shadow in the alley, I was like “oh, goodbye, you’re dead; that’s it!”

But, I think the real, big news in this episode is that Meg is back, and so is their father. Yay/not yay? I don’t know how to feel.

To be honest, I did not love this episode. There was nothing really wrong with it, but I just felt that it lacked a certain PIZAZZ. Ya know what I mean? Like sometimes Supernatural episodes stick with you, but this one I forgot about almost right after watching it.

Like, I guess I’m glad we have a recurring villain. I love to hate Meg’s freaky, black-altar, demon magic stuff (and I just hate hate her stupid hair cut). However, I feel like the plot of this episode was kind of weak.

I just couldn’t dig the shadow demons.

They were kind of lame.

Scary, sure, but kind of lame.

Sorry.

If you need a recap, in this episode, Sam and Dean travel to Chicago to investigate a mysterious death. Sam encounters Meg in a bar. Although Dean is pretty eager for Sam to hook up with her, Sam decides that something isn’t right with her (maybe the haircut tipped him off? Although his hair is also pretty bad, so I don’t know), and he decides to tail Meg. Sam discovers she’s in league with demons (gasp!) and that she orchestrated the death at the beginning of the episode to draw the boys to Chicago. Sam returns with Dean to take down Meg, but she lays a trap and captures them. Meg reveals that she was really trying to lure their father, John, to Chicago and that she knows he’ll arrive to help his sons. Sam and Dean manage to escape and throw Meg out a window (trust me, that’ll leave a mark). She does, however, survive because, you know, demon powers. When the boys get back to their hotel, their father is already there. They don’t have much time to catch up though because the SHADOW DEMONS RETURN! (Gasp again!) They realize that the only way to escape from them is to split up, and they go their separate ways.

I’m not sure why this works. If Meg really wanted to catch John, she surely could have followed him. TBH, I feel like she (and whoever she’s working for) are playing mind games with them because I assume they could catch them and drag them to hell on any random Tuesday (or Wednesday, to be fair). The whole plot in this episode just seemed sort of futile; the only thing it really accomplished was psyching them out.

Anyway, I think this was more of a transition, plot-building episode. It didn’t add much to the plot on its own, but I assume it’s setting us up for other stuff with Meg. I still hate her hair though.

Rating: 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9