Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 14: Nightmare

Wow, I felt bad for Max in this episode. I mean, I think we were supposed to feel bad for him, but my goodness his life seemed MISERABLE!

It’s tough to blame him for killing his father and his uncle, although I’m glad he didn’t kill Aunt Zelda (in case you didn’t notice, the actress who played the stepmother also played Aunt Zelda on the original Sabrina the Teenage Witch).

Overall, this episode was just sad.

On the whole, I didn’t love it because it was just so emotionally stressful to watch, but we did get a lot of important information here. Like, who knew that Sam wasn’t the only one with psychic powers? We also learned that there are other children whose mothers died in a fire in their nursery, creepy, right? Obviously, that was a HUGE reveal. I don’t have to guess very much to know that that is going to be a BIG plot point going forward.

In case you need a recap, in this episode Sam has a vision of a man being murdered in a way that makes it look like suicide. Sam and Dean arrive to investigate and discover that the killer is a person with special abilities (like Sam) named Max. Max has been killing his family members in retaliation for the abuse and neglect that they inflicted upon him. He tries to kill his step mother, who ignored the abuse, but Sam and Dean intervene. At the end of the episode, Max ends up killing himself.

Like I said, this episode was very sad and dark. I felt terrible for Max; although, obviously, he shouldn’t have killed anyone. There was really no good outcome for him that could have come out of this episode. However, I am glad that this episode advanced the overarching plot. Because this is the first season, I feel like we haven’t gotten a lot of big plot points yet, so I’m glad we’re really getting into the details of the mystery of Sam’s powers. I’m sure there will be more about that in the future.

Side note, I can not believe Sam and Dean dressed up as priests to get the family to talk to them. Like, again, who would actually believe that they are who they say they are. Their disguises are always so profoundly bad. But, I think this disguise was the worst. Like, who would believe that Dean is a priest?

Rating: 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review