Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 20: Dead Man’s Blood

I guess this episode aired before the Twilight craze hit America because otherwise the vampires in this episode would be sparkling.

Seriously though, I found the vamps in this episode to be a little underwhelming. After watching shows like True Blood and even The Vampire Diaries (which I used to watch religiously on the CW when I was in high school; yes, I was that girl), these vampires seem a bit lame. I mean, even the Twilight vampires might have been scarier, and they were disastrously unscary.

However, I get that vamps were not the important part of the episode.

The important part of the episode was that 1) our boys got a magic gun and 2) we finally get to see John, Sam, and Dean hunt together, which was prettyyyyy impressive if you ask me. If they were together all the time, you can imagine that they would just be ripping through ghosts every day! We also got to see Dean stand up to their dad, which was so satisfying, especially after he criticized the way Dean was taking care of his car. THAT was a bridge too far.

But anyway, let’s get back to talking about that magic gun. I like the idea of it, and I like the lore behind it. It’s cool to think about old school hunters riding around on horseback. However, I hope they don’t overuse the whole “it can kill anything” thing. Like, I still want it to be a challenge for them to kill monsters. It is Supernatural though, so I assume things won’t be that easy.

In case you need a recap, in this episode we met a vampire hunter named Elkins who is a friend of John Winchester. Elkins is killed by a nest of vamps at the beginning of the episode, prompting Sam, Dean, and John to arrive and investigate. They manage to kill several vamps, but, more importantly, they find that Elkins had The Colt, a magic gun that can kill anything supernatural. The vamps stole the gun, but the Winchesters (hey, more gun names) manage to steal it back.

To me, this episode feels a bit like filler. It’s entertaining, and I enjoyed seeing all the Winchester men together, but I just felt like this episode wasn’t very memorable. I get the sense that it’s setting up some interesting plot points, but that’s about it.

Plus, I have to deduct points for the vampires’ fashion choices. Seriously, it was like a bad Hot Topic commercial.

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review