Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 10: Asylum

Have you ever looked at a trailer for a movie or a synopsis of a TV show and just thought, “can’t do it. That’s too scary for me.”

Well, that was me with this episode.

I wanted to skip this episode so badly. I read the little Netflix summary of it, and I was like “oh, I can’t watch that. That might actually scare me to death.”

...And of course, I watched it anyway.

I think I might have white hairs now; that’s how scary this episode was. I mean, it was truly HORRIFYING. It is literally all the ingredients of horror movies wrapped up into one, 45-minute package. Psychotic doctor? Check. Crazed patients? Check. Haunted asylum? Check. Possession? Check. Doors that open and close by themselves? Check. Kids that wander into haunted buildings inexplicably? Double check.

Seriously, why do the people in horror movies and TV shows insist on going back to the haunted buildings? Haven’t they seen any horror movies? Especially teenagers. Can someone please explain to me why teenagers go to these super creepy places for fun or, worse, for dates??? Like, that idea never even approached my brain when I was a teen. When I was in high school, my friends went to movies or watched funny YouTube videos in each other’s basements. Like, I know that’s pretty vanilla stuff, but there has to be a middle ground between that and going to an abandoned asylum. I mean, come on!

Anyway, if you need a recap, this episode is about a haunted asylum that contains the ghost of a doctor who possesses and drives crazy anyone who enters the building. Naturally, Sam and Dean get roped into investigating, and they end up trapped in the building with two stupid teenagers. They learn that the ghosts of the patients won’t let them leave until they destroy the ghost of the doctor. Unfortunately, this is made slightly more complicated when the ghost possesses Sam and tries to kill Dean. However, Dean is eventually able to salt and burn the bones, and all is right with the world. Of course, they do this all at night, which makes it ten times scarier.

Like, is there some ghost hunting law that says you can’t go to a haunted asylum during the day? It would be so much easier to find the bones, salt them, and burn them when the sun is shining. I’m just sayin’.

Anyway, I think this episode was well constructed and had an interesting plot. However, it didn’t really do much to advance the overall plot of the show, and it didn’t really add much to the character development...although I would have really liked to hear what Sam said in that meeting with the psychologist.

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9