Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 17: Hell House

I want it to be noted for the record that I called right away that the symbol on the wall of the house was the Blue Oyster Cult logo. When I saw it, I was like “wait a minute...BOC? What’s going on here?” What can I say, I’m a walking, talking classic rock encyclopedia.

Seriously though, this was a great episode. I mean, this one was fun.

I love the wannabe ghost hunters who think they’re like big, tough professionals. Those two guys we hi-larious. I love that they’re all “please, step aside, we are professional paranormal investigators” and then the next minute they’re like, “but what would Buffy do?” It was comedy GOLD. Can you imagine how they would react if they knew what Sam and Dean actually do everyday? It would be too funny.

Anyway, I love all the pranks that Sam and Dean pulled on each other, and I love that they shoot the ghost with guns. Like, we’ve seen them do this before, but it’s never not great.

It’s just so satisfying to watch them blow those ghosts away. It is so cool.

Before I get sidetracked, let me give you a quick recap of the episode. Sam and Dean get a tip off that there’s a spirit that is hanging young women in a haunted house. They arrive to investigate and discover that the legend was actually completely fabricated but, because the townspeople believed in it, it became true. Trippy huh? Along the way, they run into some fantastically lame “paranormal investigators” who think they experienced a haunting because they saw a vase fall off a table. Because the legend of the ghost keeps changing, Sam and Dean aren’t sure how to kill it, but they eventually manage to destroy it by burning down the house.

I think this was a really good episode on basically every level. We didn’t get a lot of character building moments, but it was fun to see Sam and Dean’s brotherly pranking relationship. I don’t have a sibling, so I don’t know how accurate it is, but I imagine that’s something brothers would do. On the other hand, I thought the plot and mystery of the episode were A+, and I love the idea that things can exist just because people believe in them. I have a feeling that that will come up again in this show.

On a side note, I hope we see those ghost hunters again. They were too funny words. But, of course, the real question is: how long it will take those two guys to find the dead fish in the back of their car?

Rating:
8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review