Review: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 18: Something Wicked

Okay, what is Sam wearing in this episode? Is that a greyhound on his shirt? I don’t get it. I swear, this 2005 fashion will be the death of me.

Seriously though, this episode hit me right in the feels.

First of all, Dean with kids is EVERYTHING. Every time he interacts with a child, adorableness ensues. When he was talking to that little boy about being a big brother, it was all I could do to hold back the tears.

Plus, those flashbacks were painfully cute. Dean was such a good big brother, *snift* *snift.* Like, I’m an only child, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that there’s no way I would be giving away bowls of Lucky Charms to anybody.

And, of course, his flashback father had to be super mean to him. Like, Dean was about eight years old in this episode. How was it his responsibility to take care of Sam? I have news for you, John Winchester, it was your job to take care of Sam. Like, what type of crappy parenting is that? Blame your eight-year-old child and give him a psychological complex because he wasn’t able to take good enough care of your five-year-old? How is that fair? No wonder Dean is the way he is. That is MESSED up.

But, I think I’m off topic now.

I actually found this episode to be quite scary because we all know that this is exactly what we were afraid of when we were kids. Like, I very distinctly remember sitting up at night, watching the shadows behind my window, and wondering if a monster was going to try to get into my room. Only, in this episode, it’s really real. Joy to the world!

Basically, this episode centers around a town where all the children are getting sick. It turns out that they’re being attacked by a monster that steals their life force. The same monster almost got Sam when he was little, so this fight is personal for Sam and Dean. The two brothers realize that the children’s doctor is actually the monster, and they lure him into a trap with the help of a little boy named Michael. Once the monster is feeding off Michael, they’re able to kill the monster and the kids recover.

But, the kicker is the end of the episode, when Sam is talking about how he wishes they didn’t have to involve Michael because then he would still have his innocence. And, Dean says something like, “sometimes, I wish that for you too.”

DEAN IS SUCH A GOOD BROTHER. I die. I die. I cannot deal. It just hurts my heart with all the EMOTIONS.

Honestly, I think this was such a good episode! Not only was the plot really engaging, it really gave some good background for Dean’s character and his state of mind. As we know from other episodes, Dean feels like it’s his job to be a protector. Maybe that’s why he’s so committed to being a hunter? Now, however, we know that that role was kind of forced upon him by his father when he was young. His father treated him like a little adult when he was just a kid himself, and I think that explains why he feels like he has to be strong for everyone all the time and why he feels like he needs to sacrifice himself…or, at least, why he feels the need to sacrifice the Lucky Charms.

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review