Review: Supernatural Season 9, Episode 4: Slumber Party

Oh my goodness, this was such a FUN episode.

I feel like every time Charlie appears, an amazing episode ensues. I know that she’s off to Oz now, but hopefully she comes back to planet Earth sometimes to catch up with the Winchesters.

It was a bit weird to see the Wicked Witch of the West on Supernatural, but I have to admit that it worked well in this episode. Those flying monkeys were certainly one of the most terrifying monsters I’ve seen on Supernatural.

In general, I thought that incorporating the mythology of the Wizard of Oz into the show was really clever. The whole episode was like a little movie! I particularly liked the character of Dorothy. She’s clearly a great hunter, and she’s lived a really interesting life. I hope we see her on the show again.

Aside from the Wizard of Oz element, I thought this was a great episode for character building and development. I really enjoyed seeing Sam and Dean interact with Charlie in a relaxed way. (By the way, it was too funny that they were watching Game of Thrones. This episode came out in 2013, so the show was fairly new at the time. I wonder if HBO did some product placement to get it into Supernatural.)

I honestly wish that Charlie could stay with them all the time because I truly think she’s the younger sister that they never had. Plus, I think she would get along great with Kevin. I was completely horrified that Charlie died (even if only for a few minutes), but, hey, that happens to everyone adjacent to the Winchesters at some point.

On the other hand, I am getting rather concerned about Sam. First of all, Dean had better tell him soon that he has an angel living inside him. The longer this goes on, the worse it’s going to be when Sam finally learns that he’s being possessed. Frankly, I don’t understand Dean’s plan. There’s no way he’s going to be able to keep this secret forever.

I’m also saddened that Sam doesn’t see the bunker as his home. It’s really sad to think that Sam doesn’t have a place to call home. Sometimes, it’s easy to forget about all the emotional trauma that the Winchesters have undergone, but statements like that are a great way to remind you. Personally, however, I think the bunker is a great place to live. (Except for the fact that they have the king of Hell in the basement).

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review