Review: Supernatural Season 9, Episode 2: Devil May Care

I really enjoyed the premiere of season nine, so I felt a little let down by this episode. It’s not that it was bad; it just wasn’t all that exciting to me. I suppose the season needs some episodes that just function to set up the plot, but five minutes after the episode ended I had already forgotten what happened, so that tells me it wasn’t all that interesting.

That being said, I did enjoy Abaddon complaining about Crowley being the King of Hell when he’s really only a sales person. If there’s one thing you can always count on, it’s the fact that everyone is capable of pettiness, even Knights of Hell.

What I’m gathering from this episode is that Abaddon is probably going to be one of the big bads of this season. I’m guessing that her plan is to take over Hell, and I’m not sure how I feel about that. Abaddon certainly has less imagination than Crowley, so she might be a less dangerous opponent for the Winchesters in the long run. On the other hand, she’s much harder to kill.

I was kind of bored by Sam and Dean’s fight with the demons in the abandoned neighborhood. It just feels like we’ve seen this sort of thing before on the show, if you know what I mean. It was sad to see Irv die, but I’m glad Tracy Bell made it out of there. Even though I thought she was out of line in blaming Sam for her family’s deaths, I liked her character, and I hope she shows up on the show again.

I was also interested to see how Ezekiel took over Sam’s body to win the fight. I’m still not sure how I feel about Ezekiel, but I definitely think Dean needs to tell Sam what’s going on. There’s no way Zeke can continue to use Sam’s body like that without Sam noticing.

I’m also concerned about what’s going on between Crowley and Kevin. That’s a toxic relationship if I’ve ever seen one. Kevin’s emotional state seems pretty fragile, so hopefully Sam and Dean are aware of that and help him to feel more secure. Kevin is one of their most important resources, and I think they need to be aware of that.

Anyway, that’s all I have to say about this episode. It wasn’t one of my favorites, but hopefully it’s a start of better things to come.

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9