Review: Supernatural Season 8, Episode 23: Sacrifice

Now that is how you finish a season!

I think that season eight was consistently good. It was kind of slow and steady, but this ending really packed a punch! And, I have to say that I haven’t enjoyed Supernatural so much since season five ended.

Anyway! Let’s get into the episode.

So much happened in this finale that I’m going to find it difficult to talk about everything, but let’s start with the biggest revelations first.

We absolutely need to talk about Metatron. I have to give him credit, he was a lot more diabolical than I expected. Which is to say that I didn’t expect him to be diabolical at all. So, to recap, Metatron tricked Cas into thinking he was going to shut the gates of Heaven when he was actually going to expel all of the angels from Heaven. He also killed Naomi, which was a major positive if you ask me. He also neglected to tell Sam and Dean that Sam would die if he completed the demon trials. That was probably the worst thing he did. But, if you ask me, everything else was forgivable. I get where Metatron is coming from, you know? The angels are terrible. They probably did need to be punished. I wouldn’t have done what he did, but his motive is logical.

I was definitely intrigued by all the trials that the characters undertook in this episode. It all turned out to be for worse, but all of the plot twists definitely kept me on my toes. I was particularly interested in seeing Sam try to turn Crowley back into a human. Honestly, I wish he had been able to finish that trial. It would be fascinating to see a human Crowley, and maybe a little scary too! Those scenes in the church were actually really emotional too.

We got some deep feelings when Dean came in to convince Sam not to die. That was a tough conversation for them to have, but it felt very sincere and powerful to me.

I’m also glad to see Kevin back at the bunker now. Hopefully, he’ll live there permanently. Sam and Dean could use another roommate.

Anyway, we have all the angels falling to Earth now, so I’m guessing that will be the major plot point of the next season, which should be pretty interesting. (By the way, how cool was that scene? The shot of all the falling stars was incredible!)


However, I do have some questions going into the next season. First of all, what happened with Crowley? Is he partially human now? Are they going to let him go? What is his reaction going to be? I’m also concerned about Abaddon. I have a feeling that we’re not quite done with her yet. There’s no way that killing a Knight of Hell is that easy. Sam is obviously very sick as well. Clearly, you can’t do something so extreme to your body and soul and come out unscathed.

But, all of that is for season nine! I’ll see you next time.

Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review