Review: Supernatural Season 8, Episode 15: Man's Best Friend with Benefits

I don’t know what it was, but I felt kind of weird about this episode. Maybe it was the fact that it centered around a witch who was having a relationship with a woman who was also a dog. Maybe I’m a prude, but I found that to be pretty awkward.

Honestly, this entire episode kind of missed the mark for me. I just didn’t find it to be very interesting. First of all, I think the whole episode would have been more enjoyable if we’d met James in a previous episode. They say that James saved their lives in the past, but I checked, and he actually hadn’t been on the show before. So, I’m not sure why the writers did that. They have eight seasons to work with; they could have easily have picked a character from the past to highlight.

Secondly, I just wasn’t invested in the whole witch-on-witch crime concept of the episode. I guess the point was to show that not all witches are bad, but, to be honest, I dislike witches so much at this point that I just don’t really care how the show portrays them. I mean, if we look back, we see that witches have been responsible for some of the grossest and ickiest deaths on this show. I don’t need the writers of Supernatural to try to make them cute and cuddly.

I was also bothered by the character of Portia. As I said, she clearly has an *adult* relationship with her “master” James, and that’s kind of awkward and weird. This is not to say that I have a problem with people having romantic relationships on TV shows. It’s just weird because a) she calls him her “master,” b) she’s a dog half of the time, and c) I’m not sure what she actually is. I mean, is Portia a person who can transform into a dog or just some other creature entirely? It’s very weird (especially because she wears the collar all the time).

Anyway, I just wasn’t here for this episode. I’m sorry if that’s disappointing to you, but I just couldn’t get into it.

Rating: 5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review