Review: Supernatural Season 8, Episode 9: Citizen Fang

Oh my goodness, I do not know how to feel about this episode! I mean, so much happened and there’s so much to unpack! To me, it felt so much longer than forty minutes. There were so many twists and turns, and there was so much DRAMA. It was like a little movie!

(Side note: now that I write this, I realize that I liked the episode a lot.)

Okay, so I want to preface all of this by saying that everyone acted badly in this episode.

First off, Martin was completely off his rocker. I don’t know why Sam thought he was sane enough to hunt, but I can tell you with certainty that he is not. The fact that he threatened Elizabeth in order to ensnare Benny is beyond insane, and I wish Sam could have seen it happen so that he realized how badly he screwed up.

Speaking of Sam, his behavior was also reprehensible. He wants to kill Benny, who literally saved his brother and isn’t hurting anyone!! Now, I get that Sam doesn’t believe that Benny isn’t hurting anyone, but I don’t get why Sam finds that so difficult to believe, as Sam once convinced Dean not to hurt a group of vampires who weren’t hurting people. The truth is that Sam dislikes Benny because he believes that Dean sees him as a better brother than Sam, and Sam doesn’t like that (by the way, does all of this sound like a soap opera to anyone else). Also, Sam allowing Martin to knock Dean out and chain him to a radiator is just WILD. In fact, sending Martin to watch Benny in the first place was a momentously bad idea. What on Earth was he thinking?

That being said, Benny was not completely innocent in this situation. He shouldn’t have killed Martin (seriously, just tie him up and gag him or something like that). And, truth be told, he should have killed that other vampire as soon as he hurt a human.

Dean isn’t blameless either. Dean engineered much of this situation by constantly telling Sam how horrible he was/is and implying that Benny was the only person he could truly trust. Even if Dean thought that was the truth, it was cruel to keep saying it relentlessly to Sam. It was also cruel—and maybe even unforgivable—to make Sam think that Amelia was in danger. I was really disappointed in that decision.

Honestly, I don’t know why Sam and Dean insist of injuring each other over and over again. They have a very deep bond, but boy do they ever need family therapy!

Everyone and no one deserved what happened in this episode (well, except for Elizabeth), and that’s all I have to say about that.

On a more positive note, I did enjoy the musical selections in this episode. "Born on the Bayou" is always a nice touch.

Also, did this episode remind anyone else of True Blood? Vampire from Louisiana returns to his hometown and gets involved with a woman who works at a restaurant (albeit, involved in a different way)...who does that sound like to you? Although, I gotta hand it to Benny, his accent is decidedly better.

Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review