Review: Supernatural Season 8, Episode 6: Southern Comfort

Oh my goodness, the DRAMA of this episode.

It was almost too much for me, and I thrive on television drama. Like, seriously, Sam and Dean need to go to family counseling because they have a LOT going on.

Okay, let’s get into the episode. I didn’t really care for the main plot (in case you missed it, this episode centered around the ghost of confederate soldier who forced people to seek revenge against those who wronged them); however, I do think that it was important because it really exposed how much has changed in Sam and Dean’s relationship.

There is clearly a lot of bitterness at play, and I honestly don’t know how they’re going to get passed it. I mean, there are about seven more seasons, so obviously they reconcile to some degree, but I can’t imagine that they’re ever going to have the same closeness again.

I do have to say that I’m mostly on Dean’s side in this argument (if we’re taking sides). The fact that Sam didn’t look for him is just really, really difficult to accept. I mean, if I was in Dean’s situation, I would be utterly heartbroken, especially because there was no real indication that Dean was dead at the end of season seven. However, I do understand why Sam would want to live a life outside of hunting, and I understand why Sam is upset that Dean didn’t tell him about Benny (although, just to be clear, I don’t want Sam to lay a finger on Benny and his beautiful blue eyes). Also, Dean constantly ragging on Sam isn’t helping the situation. Obviously, the Winchesters are going to have to get to a place of forgiveness with each other before they can move forward, but that’s going to be tough to accomplish.

I’m also going to have to forgive Sam because, as I’ve said before, I’m finding it really hard to accept that Sam ditched Dean for Amelia. Like, I’m sure Amelia is a good vet, but she’s a really difficult to like character. The flashback scenes that involve her all feel very awkward, and Amelia herself just insists on being prickly and kind of rude. We did get some backstory for her in this episode, which made me a little more sympathetic to her; however, I still think that she’s just not the greatest character. I blame it on the writing.

Garth, however, is a FANTASTIC character. I love him showing up as a “Texas ranger” (sure, Garth, because real rangers actually dress like that), and I think it’s really adorable that he’s taken on the Bobby role for the hunter community. Obviously no one can replace Bobby, but Garth is right, you have to take what you’re given and keep going forward.

Hopefully Sam and Dean learn that lesson too.

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review