Review: Supernatural Season 5, Episode 17: 99 Problems

I don’t know if there were 99 problems in this episode, but there were certainly enough problems to be getting on with!

Religious extremists? Yes. Demons? Yes. The literal Whore of Babylon? Yes. A drunk angel? Yes (and it was hilarious!).

So, in this episode, Sam and Dean basically discover a town full of people who have all become impromptu hunters. It turns out that they’re being led by a woman named Leah who claims to have visions from angels. Leah tells the townspeople when the demons will attack and basically instructs them on how to survive the final judgement and be admitted into paradise. The only problem is...she’s not actually a prophet. It turns out that Leah is the Whore of Babylon and is intentionally getting the townspeople to commit sins, such as killing their neighbors for minor indiscretions. However, fortunately, Cas knows how to deal with her, and Dean is able to kill her at the end of the episode.

The end of the episode also reveals that Dean is thinking about saying yes to Michael, which has me a little bit panicked. Part of me still believes that he won’t do it, but the fact that he’s even considering it makes me incredibly anxious.

Overall, this was quite a sad episode. I mean, watching Leah, the “monster,” manipulating all those people was very disheartening, and the overall plot just gave a sense of hopelessness. But, I mean, I guess that’s what you expect from the apocalypse.

I should also note that it was actually kind of touching that Dean went to see Lisa at the end of the episode. We don’t have many female characters in the show, so I like that Dean has a love interest. It was also a really emotional moment. We were once again reminded that all Dean really wants is a normal, family life, and it’s tragic that he can’t have that.

My favorite part of the episode was definitely Cas though. Drunk Cas is obviously the most fun character on the show. I’m also really impressed that he can keep his clothes so spotless, even when he’s on a bender. (Sidenote: Does Cas ever wear anything besides a suit? Surely his trenchcoat gets dirty sometimes.) Plus, he had the best line of the episode: “I found a liquor store...And I drank it.”

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9