Review: Supernatural Season 5, Episode 14: My Bloody Valentine

You know what I don’t want to see? People eating each other to death. That was a major ICK! I think that was the most disturbing thing on this show since we had to watch that girl eat the rat in “Family Remains.”

Speaking of disturbing, I am not a fan of Famine in this episode. They couldn’t have made him creepier if he had snakes coming out of his ears! (Although that might actually be funny and not scary). Like, no offense to Death, but that shriveled up old guy who eats souls with his HIDEOUS teeth is a lot more frightening!

Although, I have to say that it was funny to watch Cas eat several hundred hamburgers. I guess if you’re an angel, you just can’t gain weight, right? Or have blocked arteries? I’m not actually sure how that works because Cas’s vessel, Jimmy is just a regular human. So, you would imagine that Jimmy continues to have normal biological processes even though Cas is inside him, right? Or, maybe, Cas can use his angel powers to just keep the body in a state of permanent stasis? If that’s the case, I’m going to invite an angel along the next time IHOP has their all-you-can-eat pancake day.

In case you need a recap, in this episode Sam, Dean, and Castiel face off against one of the horsemen of the apocalypse: Famine. However, Famine doesn’t just make people hungry. It makes them crave things like love, sex, alcohol, emotional fulfillment, or demon blood (in Sam’s case). Per usual, Sam and Dean are able to stop the monster (yay!), but not before a bunch of people eat and drink themselves to death.

I thought it was interesting that, while Sam craved blood and Cas craved burgers, Dean didn’t actually crave anything. I know that Famine said that that was because he was empty inside (I mean come on, what do you expect from Famine), but I think it actually speaks well of Dean’s personality. He’s a fundamentally selfless and balanced person, even if he is weighed down with psychological trauma.

HOWEVER, the best part of the episode was obviously the overweight, emotionally unstable cupid with no sense of personal space. Now THAT was incredibly funny, but I don’t think it would be too popular on Valentine’s Days cards.

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9