Review: Supernatural Season 5, Episode 15: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

So, remember how I said the last episode was disturbing? I take it back. THIS episode makes the last one look like an episode of Rugrats!

If you need a quick recap, this episode is basically about the zombie apocalypse. Or, shall we say the zom-pocalypse. Sam and Dean investigate a town (that happens to be near Bobby’s house) that is experiencing an upsurge in zombies. Normally, you would think that people would be upset if they encountered a corpse-person, but the townspeople are actually happy that the zombies are rising because they get to see their beloved family members again. It turns out that Bobby’s wife is one of the zombies, and she’s at home in the kitchen just casually baking pie!

Anyway, for a while the zombies behave like normal people and then they start, well, behaving like zombies. Cue the brain eating! Sam and Dean then team up with the townspeople to kill (again) all the people who have risen from the dead.

So, I have two emotions about this episode: disgust and sadness.

The disgust is pretty easy to explain. I think that scene where the zombie woman spews zombie saliva all over Sam’s face says it all. There are few things I can imagine that are grosser than that. *Shudder.* Plus, the image of the little zombie boy LITERALLY EATING HIS FATHER with blood smeared all over his face will haunt my nightmares forever.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: HOW ARE THEY ALLOWED TO SHOW THIS STUFF ON NETWORK TELEVISION! Like, I don’t know about you, but I always thought of the CW as being pretty vanilla. Guess I was wrong about that!

But, primarily this episode just made me feel sad for Bobby. He really does get the short end of the stick most of the time. For example, he helps Sam and Dean save the world and gets stuck in a wheelchair for his efforts. What’s up with that? But forcing Bobby to kill his wife again (let me highlight that: AGAIN!!!) was just really cruel. I feel like Bobby’s wife coming back to life for a day or two was just the cherry on top of all the misery that we’ve accumulated throughout the show.

Anyway, this episode wasn’t my favorite, although it was very effective at grossing me out. However, I did appreciate the line from the first zombie Dean was planning to kill: “I'm a taxpayer!”

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review

Review: The Last Kingdom Season 4 Episode 9