Review: Supernatural Season 2, Episode 17: Heart

I think this episode is called “Heart” because Sam gets his heart broken.

Okay, that was an incredibly bad joke, but this was an incredibly sad episode, so it works out.

But seriously, this episode made me feel a type of way. It had some real emotional IMPACT? You know? I really felt it.

I think it was especially sad because this was the first time Sam and Dean weren’t able to save the person they were trying to help (except for maybe their dad or Meg), which was really sad. I mean, the ending scene where Sam had to shoot Maddison was just brutal. Plus, Jared and Jensen (the actors who play Sam and Dean) did such a great job acting that moment. When Sam was crying, it just seemed so genuine. And then Dean started crying, and I was like, “Don’t cry Dean! If you cry, I’m going to cry too!”

Of course, this whole episode was really a metaphor for the relationship between Sam and Dean. Sam has asked Dean several times to kill him if he becomes evil, and, of course, Dean always says no. In this episode, Sam gets a taste of what Dean is going through when Maddison (who ends up being Sam’s love interest) asks him to kill her because she is now irredeemably a werewolf. Sam finally seems to understand the pain he’s causing Dean, and it appears that Dean is finally coming to terms with the idea that Sam might become permanently evil, and he might have to die. Although, I still think Dean would rather die than kill Sam himself.

Anyway, this episode basically encapsulates the major conflict and moral dilemma of the season, which makes it really interesting.

On a plot level, the story basically revolves around a werewolf who is terrorizing San Francisco. Sam and Dean arrive to investigate, only to discover that the werewolf is actually two werewolves, a woman named Maddison and her neighbor. Neither of them know they’re werewolves because they black out when they actually become wolves. As I explained above, Sam and Dean end up having to kill both of them because they’re been murdering people in their wolf forms and are an obvious danger to society.

It’s a strong episode in terms of plot, but it just wasn’t one of my favorites. I think it was just too sad. On the plus side, Sam’s sex scene with Maddison was significantly less akward than the scene Dean had with Cassie in season one... although there were some weird close ups that I could live without.

On a side note, I’m always vaguely shocked that they can show these things on the CW. Like, maybe it’s just me, but I always associate the CW with vanilla teen dramas...kind of like High School Musical but with vampires and angst. Supernatural has a lot of edgy moments that you really wouldn’t expect to see on network television, so I have to say good on the CW for being willing to put these sorts of things on the air.

(Although, I think it would be a bolder move to make Sam cut his hair. Seriously, I know it was 2006 or whatever, but the Shaggy look is not working for him.)

Anyway, I’m way off topic, so I’ll just finish by saying that I thought this was a really strong episode...but I hope the next girl Sam falls for lives for longer than one episode.

Rating: 7.5/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review