Review: Supernatural Season 3, Episode 2: The Kids Are Alright

Okay, raise your hand if you were convinced that Ben was Dean’s kid.

I mean, I know that the mom said he wasn’t, but I’m still half convinced. Like, they have the same pick up lines, the same sense of humor, and the same taste in music. They’re even wearing the same jacket! How is Ben not mini-Dean?

But, I digress. Let us talk about this episode.

Guys, I am 100% confident that this was the FREAKIEST thing I have ever seen on television.

Seriously, I was not prepared for how much this episode scared me. I think it was because it was both hilarious and extremely terrifying. Like, one minute you’re eating race-car birthday cake, and the next minute there’s a kid with a sucker mouth and empty holes for eyes in your rearview mirror.

Like, what am I supposed to do with THAT?

I know I’ve said it before, but I’m going to say it again. Supernatural needs to quit with the creepy kids, especially the creepy little girls. I just don’t think my heart can take it anymore. Everytime there’s a child on Supernatural, you know that some messed up, twisted stuff is about to happen.

I mean, seeing the monster reflections of the kids in this episode was BRUTAL. And, of course, they would spring it on you when you weren’t expecting it, which made it even worse. But, I think the scariest part of this episode was the little girl trying to break down the bathroom door, with her mother in tears on the floor. That was freaky, freaky, freaky. I think it’s either that or the mom trying to drown the little monster girl in the car. That was DIS-TURB-ING.

I’m actually shocked that Supernatural was allowed to show that on TV; it was prett-y dark stuff. And then, she gets back to the house, and the monster child is asking for ice cream. I can’t with that scene. I CAN NOT!

Anyway, in case you need a recap, this episode was about a town where all the children become changelings. Dean and Sam are visiting because Dean wants to hook up with a certain yoga instructor named Lisa. Dean and Lisa had a fling about nine years previously, so when Dean learns she has an eight-year-old son, he starts to wonder if he might be a dad. DRAMA! (On a side note, I actually think Dean would be an awesome dad, but it might be tough to make it to little league games when you’re on the road fighting demons all the time.) Fortunately Sam and Dean are still there when the changeling kids start turning up. They manage to find the real kids, return them to their parents, and destroy the changelings.

It was a good plot, and I enjoyed it, but the BEST part of the episode was Ben. I tell you, that kid is going places. In case you don’t remember, Ben is Dean’s might-be son (well, let’s keep it real, his probably son). His presence in the episode was HI-LARIOUS. I loved his comments about chicks in the bouncy house at his birthday party. I loved his love of AC/DC. I love that Dean taught him how to deal with bullies. It’s all GOLD. I doubt that Ben will be back on the show, but I hope he is.

He’s a chip off the old block.

Rating: 9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review