Review: Supernatural Season 2, Episode 22: All Hell Breaks Loose: Part 2

THIS EPISODE.

So much happened! I don’t even know where to begin! I feel like I’m going to have to give my brain a week to process everything that happened in this episode.

However, I think the major takeaway is that Dean should be in therapy.

I mean to be honest, everyone on this show should be in major therapy; they’re all messed up in some way or another. However, Dean is definitely the worst. I mean the amount of self-loathing you have to experience before you decide that you deserve to go to hell is simply staggering. Obviously he’s having a difficult time coping with losing Sam, but his self destructive tendencies are off the chart. I just feel so incredibly bad for him, knowing that he thinks he’s so worthless he doesn’t even think he deserves to live.

I mean, I think Bobby said it best: “What is it with you Winchesters, huh? You, your dad. You're both just itching to throw yourselves down the pit.”

Also, you have to consider how Sam feels. To know that the person you love best in the world decided to die to save you must be tremendously painful. I don’t think anyone could argue that Sam would want to come back that way. I mean, we saw Dean’s reaction when his dad died for him; Sam must feel the same way.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad Sam is back. I knew he’d have to come back somehow because there are like thirteen more seasons, and I’m pretty sure Sam is in all of them. Similarly, I’m pretty sure that Dean is not actually going to hell because there are thirteen more seasons. But, it’s the principle of selling yourself to the devil that I object to.

Anyway. I should probably talk about what actually happened in this episode.

We learn that yellow eyes needed one of the special children to enter a giant devil’s trap (formed with railway lines) in order to open a door to hell (sounds cheery, right?). Jake gets recruited to do this because he survived the cage match in the ghost town; however, Bobby, Ellen, Sam, and Dean get wind of what’s happening and travel to Wyoming to try to stop it.

Unfortunately, Jake is able to open the hell-gate anyway, and hordes of demons begin to pour out. Along with all the demons, John Winchester’s soul is able to escape and distract yellow eyes long enough for Dean to shoot him.

So, yeah, there was some DRAMA here.

First of all, I’m glad yellow eyes is dead. I kind of wish his end could have been more painful or through some trick to benefit the Winchesters, but dead is dead, and I’m not going to argue with that. It was also heartbreaking to see John’s soul again, but it seems like he’s at peace now, and the boys got to say goodbye to him.

All in all, I think this was a really successful season finale. It wasn’t my favorite episode of Supernatural, but it did what it needed to do: a) wrap up all the loose story lines b) set up plots for season three, and c) get Sam back in the game. I also have to give it to Jensen Ackles for his speech at the end of the episode. I really did feel that, you know? You have to hand it to him, he could make a rock cry.

Rating:
8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review