Peaky Blinders: Season 3 Episode 6 Review

THIS SHOW!

Just when you think they couldn't possibly make Peaky Blinders any more dramatic, they go and drop an episode like THAT on you.

Like, I don't even know how to begin processing what I've just seen. First of all, I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to feel about what happened. This episode was such an emotional rollercoaster, my brain feels like a scrambled egg. Secondly, what even happened? Like, I'm literally not even sure what was going on from a plot perspective. So many people double and triple crossed each other and there were so many plots inside of plots, that I lost the thread a long time ago.

Which, honestly, is my main criticism of this season. While this episode was immensely dramatic, it wasn't nearly as satisfying as previous PB season finales. They pushed all of the characters to the brink in this season with a horrifically complicated story line that most people would need several flow charts to understand. And, if I'm being real, it wasn't nearly as fun to watch as when they were all fixing races and busting up pubs. I get that the show needs to grow and evolve, but this season was too complicated, too dark, and, to be honest, rather joyless.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed season three, but, out of all the seasons, it was my least favorite. Hopefully PB will get back to its roots next season.

Anyway, let's actually talk about the episode.

I am so, so profoundly glad that Charlie is okay. When he got snatched, my heart STOPPED. Now THAT was a terrifying moment. I hate to keep comparing this show to Sons of Anarchy, but it reminded me a lot of (SPOILERS!) when Abel gets kidnapped at the end of season two. In both cases, it is genuinely the most horrifying and heart-stopping thing that can happen in a show of horrifying and heart-stopping things. In this case, I really and truly felt Tommy's panic when he realized that his son was gone. The show has kind of been building up to this all season, but it still shocked me when Charlie was taken. Like I said, I'm so, so glad that they got him back unharmed.

Charlie's kidnapping kind of puts Tommy right back where he started: digging tunnels in the mud. I think that and the speech that Alfie made to him (he stole the episode with that scene; it was some powerful stuff) are really going to make Tommy think about the way he's living his life and the choices he's making.

However, getting back to Charlie's kidnapping, I'm glad that Michael got to kill Hughes, and I'm glad it was painful. I get why Polly and everyone else wanted someone else to kill Hughes, but I think it was important that Michael got the chance to make his own choice. Also, I think this episode is going to mark a big change in Michael's character. He's totally committed to being a Peaky Blinder now, for good or for bad. After this episode, I feel that Michael is, more than ever before, loyal to the family. However, he is extremely difficult to read, so I'm going to keep my eye on him.

Quite frankly, I'm worried that Arthur and John might even betray Tommy after this episode. Like, Tommy has pushed his family to the brink one too many times. How long is it going to be before one of them decides that he's not worthy to be their leader anymore?  Like, when they all got arrested at the end of the episode, I was like "that's it, Tommy, you've gone too far." I don't know how the family is going to come back from that, even if he can get them out of prison comparatively quickly. Like, he really betrayed the family's trust there. Anyway, I guess we'll find out next season.

On another note, I guess Tatiana was actually the one who hired Tommy to steal the jewels? That seems so convoluted, I don't even know what to say. Arthur and Alfie were right; they should never have gotten involved with the Russians. Hopefully we've put all of THAT behind us.

Rating: 6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review