Peaky Blinders: Season 3 Episode 5 Review

Well, that was dark and twisted.

As much as I enjoy the DRAMA of this show, I'm going to need it to regain some cheerfulness at some point. A little joie de vivre, if you will.

However, I have a feeling that tunnels under the Thames, Faberge eggs, and bullets in the heads of certain priests is going to put me in a good mood in the next episode.

But, before we get there, let's just take a minute to talk about how utterly INSANE the Russians are in this show. Like, I'm with Alfie, none of the Blinders should ever have gotten involved with that at all. Granted, Tommy didn't have much of a choice, but I think his beautiful eyes were bigger than his stomach in this situation.

Anyway, I genuinely do not think I can watch any more horrifyingly graphic orgy scenes, tattoo inspections, or whatever Fifty Shades of Grey with an extra smattering of psychological torment stuff went on between Tatiana and Tommy. Seriously though, that was a pretty disturbing sex scene if you ask me. Poor Tommy. His psyche has been shattered so severely, it's probably like psychological scrambled eggs.

Like, he needs to spend time with his kid and the rest of his family and get his head right. He doesn't need to be choked by Russian duchesses who do, in fact, want him dead. I kind of hope someone kills that woman in the next episode. Her mind games are well and truly exhausting.

Before we get too far off topic though, I do want to return to the idea of tattoos. I am genuinely curious about the PBs' ink. When I watched season one, I was surprised to see that Tommy had tats. I naively thought that it would be unusual for people in the "old days" to have tattoos. I know that tattooing has been around for a long time, but I tend to associate them with modernity and youth, probably because I don't know anyone above the age of 30 with a tattoo. But anyway, I always try to get a look at Tommy's ink when they show him shirtless. You can never quite see what they are, but I'm desperately curious to know what was so important to Tommy that he decided to permanently add it to his skin.

Okay, let's get back on topic.

I hope Alfie gets the chance to kill some Russians; he so clearly wants to, and he did Tommy a good turn (although, I'm guessing Alfie will get some diamonds for his trouble). Speaking of which, I am THRILLED to have Tom Hardy back on the show. He is fantastic as Alfie, the perfect mixture of insane, hilarious, and quietly dangerous. But, in all seriousness, I felt a type of way when Alfie revealed that he could speak Russian because of his mother, who presumably faced horrors during the Russian pogroms. That was a very dark moment.

Speaking of dark moments, we need to talk about Michael. I haven't been the biggest fan of his character throughout the show, but he's really been through the wringer in this episode, and I honestly feel terrible about what he's been through. First of all, his girlfriend (she with the profound love of cocaine) is pregnant, and he is obviously struggling with what to do about that. It seems like Charlotte is going to get an abortion, which is obviously a source of stress for Michael, even though he doesn't want to be a father. We also learned that Michael was abused by Father Hughes when he was a child, which is obviously horrific. He asks Tommy to let him kill the priest, which he agrees to, but Polly is in opposition. I get why she doesn't want Michael to kill the priest, but, like, I don't see how Tommy can, in fairness, stop him. Based on the rules, PB has set up, Michael has the right to kill the man who hurt him. Also, even if Tommy tells Michael not to do it, I have a feeling that Michael will do it anyway; so, I don't know how Polly expects this to end.

Touching on Polly, she needs to stop telling people that she killed Campbell. She is asking for trouble, especially since I'm pretty sure her boyfriend is a spy. That is one good portrait though. C'est magnifique!

Search Results

Web resultsC'est magnifique !

Search Results

Web resultsC'est magnifique !


Let's end with something happy though. Ada is now part of Shelby Ltd! Good for her. I like her and Polly teaming up to conquer the world.

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review