Review: Supernatural Season 3, Episode 1: The Magnificent Seven

So, I guess Supernatural is going to be all demon hunting all the time going forward. Like, I’m okay with that, don’t get me wrong. Demons, you gotta hate ‘em, amirite?

Overall, however, I just didn’t love this episode. Out of the three season premieres I’ve seen thus far, this one is definitely the weakest. I just felt like the episode was a little unfocused.

Basically this episode just reveals the aftermath of opening the Hell Gate.

Demons are rampaging across the world and causing all sorts of trouble, and Sam and Dean are on hand to save the day. In this episode, they encounter the seven deadly sins made incarnate. The seven are set on destroying the Winchesters, so, of course, they have to send them back to hell.

Along the way, they encounter a married couple who happen to be hunters. They blame Sam and Dean for letting the demons loose, which seems a bit unfair to me. I mean, surely that was Jake’s fault. Sam and Dean just tried to stop him. It wasn’t really their fault that they didn’t succeed. By that logic, Bobby is equally culpable. Anyway, the demons ended up killing the husband, Isaac, by forcing him to drink drain cleaner.

I have seen a lot of horrible deaths on this show, but—let me tell you—that was one of the worst. *Shudder*

Like I said, I didn’t love this episode, and I don’t feel like it really gave me any kind of strong, emotional reaction. However, I was entertained by it, and it did kind of introduce us to life in the demon apocalypse, which I assume will be explored in more detail as the show goes on.

We do get some interesting nuggets of information though. First of all, who is that amazing hunter girl with the magic knife? I assume she’s going to come back at some point in this season. She’s too cool not to!

We also get to see how Dean is coping with the fact that he’s going to hell. Spoiler alert, he’s not.

Although, I do have to give Dean credit for how he exorcised that girl using a bathtub. That’s what I call creative thinking!

Rating: 7/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review