Review: Supernatural Season 5, Episode 22: Swan Song


Well THAT was a season finale. 

Seriously, my hat comes off to all the people who work behind the scenes on Supernatural; that was a masterful way to end the season. I mean, it was so well put together; you can really tell that they thought through all the little details.

I’m told that, originally, Supernatural was supposed to end after season five. So, in some ways, this is kind of the finale of the whole show. And, I have to say, if it was the last episode of Supernatural, I would probably be pretty happy with it. I think it did a great job of wrapping up all the major plot lines that have stretched through the seasons in a satisfying way.

I love that the Impala was the through line of the episode; it really is a major character in the show. All the little details about the legos in the vent and the army man stuck in the ashtray were just perfect. Chuck called the car the most important object in the universe in this episode, and I have to say that I agree. The boys couldn’t have achieved any of what they’ve done without the Impala; it’s as much part of destiny as they are. And, I love Dean rolling up to the cemetery while blasting music out the windows. That was a Dean move if I ever saw one. 


Overall, I would say this is a bittersweet episode. In case you need a recap, Sam says “yes” to Lucifer in this episode. His goal is to open the gate to Lucifer’s prison and throw himself in. Initially, that doesn’t work out. But, right before Lucifer and Michael fight in the cemetery, Dean shows up, and, for a brief moment, the sight of the Impala allows Sam to retake his body, allowing him to throw himself into the pit. Michael (in the body of Adam) tries to stop him and is dragged down as well.

Nothing really unexpected happened, but it all had an emotional impact anyway. There were a lot of sad moments (obviously, it’s the apocalypse), but there were some fun things as well. First of all, who doesn’t love Cas shouting “Hey, ass-butt!” as he throws a molotov cocktail. I gotta hand it to Dean, he did a good job of corrupting that angel. I’m also glad that Dean went to Lisa after Sam’s death. Deep down, I really do want Sam and Dean to have normal, happy lives. I know that Dean and Lisa aren’t going to stay together long (because there are like ten more seasons), but hopefully they can find some happiness together. And hey, maybe she can become a recurring character.

I think it’s also important to note that Sam is not dead, which doesn’t surprise me. Like I said, there are ten more seasons! Death doesn’t actually mean much on Supernatural; apparently anyone can come back from anything.

Speaking of which, I hope Adam is okay. I feel like he really got the short end of this stick in this episode. I have a feeling he’s going to be trapped in the pit in perpetuity. I know he’s kind of a side character, but to essentially kill him off just as he’s getting to know his brothers is pretty cruel. I hope he can come back. He deserves another chance at happiness!

Anyway, I’m obviously stoked for season six. Bring it on!

Rating: 10/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review