Review: Supernatural Season 10, Episode 6: Ask Jeeves

I think the best word to describe this episode is charming.

It reminded me of an Agatha Christie style cozy mystery. And, there’s nothing I like better than a cozy mystery. I never get tired of reading about or watching the hunt for a murderer at an elegant house party in a richly-appointed mansion. It’s the core of the mystery genre!

Anyway. I think the writers of this episode intentionally played on the storytelling conventions of mystery novels. If there’s one thing Supernatural does well, it’s repurposing pop culture tropes for their own purposes.

I was also really amused by all the references to the game Clue. Don’t think I didn’t notice that all the murder weapons from the game were shown at one point or another during this episode! I was particularly tickled by the random appearance of the wrench.

The plot itself was wonderfully ridiculous. I love all the eccentric and absurd members of the LaCroix family (by the way, what kind of a name is Bunny?). The best line of the whole episode is “I hunt pheasants!” Like, my friend, I’m sorry to say it, but pheasant hunting doesn’t make you very scary. Sam and Dean hunt ghosts and demons. That’s actually scary!

I also found it funny that the women in the family were instantly obsessed with Sam and Dean. I’ve never seen anybody gush so much about long fingers!

In terms of the actual monster, I found the plot to be a little bit strange. I don’t want to criticize Bobby, but telling Bunny to lock up her daughter forever just doesn’t make sense. Isolating her and treating her like a monster was guaranteed to turn her into a monster. Allowing her to live a more normal life might have allowed her to grow up as a “good shapeshifter” (if such a thing exists). My feeling is that Bobby should have either allowed her to live a normal life or killed her right away. Locking her up just created a problem for later. That being said, I did find the idea of Bobby befriending a rich widow very entertaining.

To sum it up, “Ask Jeeves” is the perfect example of a classic Supernatural episode. I really enjoyed watching a good old fashioned monster of the week episode!

Rating: 8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 1 Episode 1 Review

Peaky Blinders: Season 2 Episode 6 Review